Saturday, April 30, 2011

Matchmaker Date #2

After telling my match makers that I was willing to meet this retired police officer, I didn't hear back.  I thought that maybe I didn't meet his expectations when he saw my picture.  Mind you - I didn't get a picture, I'd rather not since after the last picture of the old dweeb they sent me. 

But retired cop did call me eventually, and he was surprisingly fun to talk to.  You know when you talk to someone for the first time and it is all awkward?  Perhaps one of the reasons why I hate talking on the phone. This conversation was about 45 minutes, Holy Toledo right?  He was funny and interesting and the conversation just rolled.  

After 45 minutes - and I had NO idea that much time lapsed - we made plans to meet on Saturday, but with promises he'd call on Thursday to confirm. Unfortunately I had to change the day...so we spoke again on Wednesday for 55 minutes.  I just can't get over the great conversations and how easy it is to talk to someone.  We even briefly talked about this matchmaking thing - he is not a client - and how it could work since going out a lot at our age is hard.  We spoke again Thursday to 'firm up plans' and spoke for another 45 minutes.  I seriously was starting to wish this guy would be decent looking since our conversations were good.

Friday I stressed about my outfit. I didn't know what to wear, usually I wear jeans, but since I went straight from work, that wasn't an option, so I settled on a navy blue skirt and blue/white shirt.  I realized in the morning why I don't wear a lot of skirts in the non-summer, since I don't know what shoes to wear with them.  I ended up going out on my lunch and bought beige wedge peakabo shoes.  They looked good - but I don't think my feet looked good in them.   I also brought some makeup to work to touch up, as well as my hair straightener (it was a really bad hair week).

So we finally meet, and he wasn't unattractive.  Our date lasted from 4:30 - 11.  So it was good enough for a 5 1/2 hour date.  I had a few drinks our conversation rolled, then I took the train back home & he texted me to make sure I made it home safe. 

I am still trying to decide what I should write in my review of the date for the matchmakers.  I don't know how I feel.  I know we aren't supposed to compare past people with the present ones....but isn't that somewhat normal?  Although, in all honesty, I am not sure who I was comparing him to.   Can anyone live up to SI?  Or be as attractive as Cop#1?  My date had a lot of commonalities with me and a lot of things I like....but at the same time, he didn't have some of the qualities of HSK that I don't like, but somehow secretly desire even though that is BAD.  Then there were things that were just so-so.  There were a few moments on both our ends when a question led to an uncomfortable response - but that is to be expected.

I wonder if I was just way more comfortable with HSK because I knew it wasn't going to be anything serious...so I really was relaxed, fun and enjoyed it.  Whereas, I approached this as a potential husband - which carries with it more pressure - and therefore even though it was a good date....I get all nervous, keep looking at the man asking myself if I can see myself with him and maybe not see the smaller picture. 

I know I am supposed to approach all opportunities as just that - a day/night out with nothing to worry about, just to enjoy each moment as it is.  That is easier said then done.

Oh I don't know.

No comments:

Post a Comment