Saturday, April 2, 2011

Better to be busy than bored

Were you worried about me?  This past week or so was full of work stress, my busiest time of the year along with some other things.

One quick story from work about a 'crazy' was that this lady called and I spoke to her and answered her question in like 1 minute.  A few moments later I get an email from her essentially saying - I just called the office and got my answer, but yet, my email from Monday was not answered, if you don't answer emails take your email off the invoice.   I laughed, what is she bitching for?   So I respond stating that 1) I do respond to emails, but not instantaneously since it is a crazy busy time of year and 1 1/2 days isn't bad, that I am the ONLY one in the office, and that I honestly don't remember seeing an email from her. I told her I didn't need to justify any of this and that essentially her question was answered - even though it was a stupid question.  If she was very anxious about finding out if her credit card was charged, she could have also called the credit card, which she did not do.  blah blah blah.   She responds, and was still a bitch.  I did find her email in my JUNK email folder, which I don't check that often.   Some people seriously have nothing better going on in their life, and I feel really bad for them, even though they piss me off.

Speaking of pissing me off..I don't understand why people call me at work to make sure we received a fax.  DON'T wait to the last minute and it wouldn't be a problem.  On Thursday, I barely got any work done since that is when member dues were due, and all those last minute people kept calling to find out if I got their fax.  I started asking them if they get a fax confirmation, and if so...what did it say?  Do they have issues with their fax not working and if so...why use it when you can send a check?   A complete waste of my time.

So, on Thursday I started to look for new jobs.  I found two I want to apply for.  The first one writing the cover letter was 'easy', however, the second one which I favor, I have been feverishly working on for HOURS and maybe DAYS at this point.  I am having such a hard time with the salary history and salary requirement that they require within the cover letter.  I know we all feel we are under-paid, and I truly think I am with my degree and the kind of work I can do...my fault for accepting a job for the wrong reasons.  Working for a small company can be really hard because when they are financially struggling...so are you.  I don't know how to explain why I want to up my salary by a good number...and if that would be frowned down upon.  I don't think my salary requirement is unheard (actually I think it is quite low) of for someone with my degree and my age I just don't know if I can make that jump when they want all that information.  If they spoke to me, I think I could totally justify it with examples and even when they see how well I work. 

Finding a job is so time consuming.  I need to make a change and I have to do the leg work to get it, but it is not easy and I don't know where to find the jobs I want to apply for, they certainly are not on monster or indeed or anything.  Going through so many company websites and looking at their openings is better...but where to start? I think I should hire someone to scour the websites and find me decent jobs to apply for....any of you interested??!?!?

Anyway, that is about all that has been going on here.  Just a LOT of real work, some resume/job hunting work, and occasionally hanging out.

No comments:

Post a Comment