Sunday, April 10, 2011

review: Coppola Keratin

Have you heard about the Coppola Keratin treatment?   I was introduced to it about 2 years ago when my mom's hairdresser heard me complaining about the frizz in my hair. Keratin is a protein that is applied to the hair to help take the frizz out.  She suggested it and right away I knew I was going to try it. 

The Keratin treatment is applied to clean hair and it has to sit for 25 minutes.  Then the hair is blown dry and straightened with a hair straighter.  You can not wash your hair for 72 hours and you can't wrinkle it with barrettes, rubber bands, behind the ear, put sunglasses on your head, etc.   You can however, use a straighter to fix part of the hair in the morning.  The first day the hair looks great, the second day it looks really good, the third day the hair looks disgusting and greasy.   I usually try to do it on a Thursday so on Sunday I can stay at home and not face the world with my disgusting hair. The treatment lasts about 3 months, but it can stay in longer if you do it on a regular basis.  Also, for it to work best, you need to use Shampoo that does not have sodium chloride.  At first I was using baby shampoo, but that didn't leave my hair feeling too clean, so I purchased the Keratin Complex Shampoo and Conditioner and really love them.

You have to be careful, there are other hair de-frizzers out there that have formaldehyde in them, which is NOT GOOD.  There are so many side effects, but a lot of hair loss - and I mean huge chunks of hair at a time - is the most common.  Be sure to get a  formaldehyde free brand (like Coppola).

I wish I had a picture of me and my frizzy hair, but the truth is, I tried not to take too many pictures when my hair was that bad.  Anyway, the stuff is amazing.  I would never be able to cut my hair this short if it was still frizzy - but by eliminating 95% of the frizz, I can wear just about any kind of hairstyle.  It can get expensive  usually it is priced around $250 per treatment...but you can find great deals using Groupon.

No comments:

Post a Comment