Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Judgment day rescheduled

Well, dear readers, we are still here.  Harold Camping wrongly predicted Judgement day again this past weekend.  Last week when I found out about Judgement Day from my Facebook feed, I looked it up and read a few websites.  Sure, anything can be made to sound good and you can find mathematical connections in almost anything.

However, I had two major problems.  I thought I was so smart, finding a loop hole in his reasoning...leap year.  However, when I googled leap year, I learned that Julius Caesar developed the Julian Calendar which became effective in 45 BC distributing an extra 10 days throughout the year.  This calendar was revised and added a day in February in years that are divisible by 4, except for years divisible by 100 that do not leave a remainder of 200, 600 when divisible by 900.   Anyway - there went my disproving Harold Camping.

The second was what about all the other religions that do not believe in God?  Why would they be banished with us sinners?  And how come the church wasn't saying anything about it? 

I started to also think about all the people that have spent so much money making underground bunkers and stocking up for the end.  First, if the world was going to explode in a few months - that would include all those bunkers dissolving too.  Second, would you want to live alone on this world if you did survive? What about all your friends?  Can you go through life alone - how do you repopulate the world? What do you do when you run out of supplies?  It is like that movie Will Smith was in, but worse since Earth would be virtually destroyed.

Did I think judgment day was the beginning of the end of the world?  Not so much - see, I have a destiny.  I am supposed to marry and have 2 kids.  I can't do that in the next 5 months...so yeah, I thought I'd still be around.

So, let's take a moment and appreciate that we are here, living a life.  Let's be grateful for what we have and enjoy each and every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment