Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Leak

So I was in New Orleans over the weekend and there was  lot of talk about the rising Mississippi River.  I heard a few store employees say that if it floods they were leaving and never coming back.  My flight was cancelled and I had to stay down there for another day, which was great since I got a bit more free time to look around.

And I got home in just the right time.  Tuesday morning, the heavy downpour made me want to keep sleeping, but I was worried that my window was open too much that a little rain was coming in but to my surprise, most of the rain wasn't coming in through the screen it was coming in through the cracks above my window. 

There was water all over my hardwood floors and bouncing all over the sill and air conditioner unit.  I used a bunch of towels but it wasn't enough.  I told work I'd have to work from home because I couldn't leave this leaking all over the place.  I constructed this garbage bag system because I couldn't catch the water bouncing off the window with Tupperware/cups.  So, my garbage bags now filter the water into cups that I have to dump about every ten - fifteen minutes or when it isn't down pouring maybe once every 30 minutes.

 but then the leak starting spreading even more and I had to add another bag....
One of the reasons I live in a condo is so that I don't have to worry about repairs and problems...but I guess you just can't escape that!  I sent an email to the management company to have them come and check it out.

It turns out that there was a blockage in the gutter - so once that was removed the incoming water started to slow down, thank goodness!  My whole window encasement will need to be replaced.  Unfortunately it is supposed to rain all week, so that work won't be done for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment