Friday, May 6, 2011

Do you believe in fate?

Do you believe in fate?
Fate - that which is inevitably predetermined; destiny.

I have always believed in fate.  That things are supposed to happen for a reason, even though I don't know what the reason is.  For instance...why have I been at this job for so long when I don't like it.  Why haven't the resumes I sent out provided me with an interview? Why is this job part of who I am?  Am I supposed to meet someone through work or need this job in the city to bump into my future husband? Am I supposed to use the free time I have at work to do other things - like take an online course or look into a vacation, book it, go on it and  realize I am supposed to live in Brazil instead.  Will a business trip allow me to either met someone special or provide a work connection?  None of that could happen if I didn't have THIS job. 

But when is enough enough?  What if I don't book that trip for another FIVE years?  What if I don't take walks at lunch time?  I don't want part of my best years to be 'wasted' away alone.  I'd rather have someone to enjoy it with. 

Can fate change?  If it is predetermined can little things change your outcome? 
  • What happens when I wake up tired and unsocial, so later in the day a cute guy smiles at me but I look away...and he was supposed to be the guy for me.  Will fate bring us together another time?  Will our paths recross until it works?
  • What happens when I am destined to meet a doctor but yet - when I injure myself I don't see a doctor, I just wait for it to pass or don't rush to the hospital when my grandmother gets pneumonia. 
  • Is it fate that gives me a headache on the train so I don't run the errands I planned to do and potentially meet a man at the supermarket - because that man is no good for me?
  • What about me being too hesitant to pursue a relationship with a new stranger.  I get too nervous so we don't get past 3 dates because I worry about the sex thing. So I end it too soon. When will fate kick in and allow it to go further?
What happens if I miss out on my fate?  I asked my co-worker about this during the week, but she does not believe in fate.  So we just had a nice friendly discussion on both sides to the fate argument.  I then asked someone else who did believe in fate - and her reaction was more or less the same as mine but reminded me we need to show the universe we want our fate to be carried out and take its hints along the way.

Did you see The Adjustment Bureau? It plays with this idea that ultimately there is a predetermined course for everyone.  It showed that fate can change depending on the other circumstances of the 'bigger picture'.  I actually liked this movie because it toyed with the idea of fate and that is something I have been thinking about for a long time.

It is partially about the universe -did you read The Secret?  Five years ago I read it.  I tried telling the universe what I wanted. Every morning in the shower for two months I went over what I was asking the universe for.  I tried asking for very 'realistic' things; there was nothing like win the lottery.  I realized I had to get really specific because when I just said a boyfriend with dark hair, I was on a date 3 years later with a dark haired man that could have been a gorilla or when I wished for an apartment...and finally got one, I forgot to tell the universe I wanted an apartment with sound control and no bugs...but you know, I thought that was obvious.

What is fate's timeline?  Will I finally reach my journey of finding a wonderful man and then die?  That doesn't seem 'fair' but I guess nothing in the world ever is.  So it makes me wonder - why some people have it so much better or so much worse.  Fate takes on a domino effect that once you get to where you are supposed to be you will look back and realize that all these other things had to happen for you to get where you are.  

Fate is a great mystery to me but I hope it exists and will help guide me through life.  Only time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment