Friday, December 10, 2010

Nature Made Sleep: A review

After at least 9 years of trouble sleeping, I finally put away my stubbornness for taking medication, and went to CVS to buy sleeping pills.  After barely sleeping this past week, I didn't think to do research BEFORE I went in, I didn't think there would be a lot to choose from.  I was wrong.  I spent 10-15 minutes reading the packaging. What to get? Since I don't like taking pills, I opted for the 'natural' or more natural stuff.  $12.99 for 30 gel capsules (one pill per use, so its for 30 events). 

http://www.naturemade.com/sleep/
I couldn't wait to take it on Wednesday.  At exactly 9pm, I popped one in my mouth.  I went to bed about 30 minutes later.  AND, nothing.  I still feel asleep the same way as usual.  This did not make me tired.  AND I woke up in the middle of the night like I have been for some months now.  I woke up even MORE exhausted. 

Not giving up I decided to try again last night.  This time I took it at 8:30pm and went straight to bed. I figured even if it doesn't work, being in bed will hopefully catch me up on my sleep that I haven't gotten all week...and I have a busy weekend, so who cares that I went to bed before many school children.   I am upset to say that once again, this pill did not make me tired and did not keep me asleep and it did not make me feeling refreshed.  In fact, last night I woke up several times.  The good thing about it, was that I was more relaxed and I seem to remember my dreams since I think I am sleeping but awake (if that makes any sense).

If I went onto the website and looked around, I could have found a coupon for $2 off (see their site for printable coupons) or decided for a less expensive sleeping pill (as opposed to a sleeping aid).

Counting sheep? Doesn't work.  Focusing on one color? Doesn't work.  Counting backwards? Doesn't work.  And no, my sleep issue is not stress related.  I've had that too, but this is different.  I am happy to report, that my life isn't very stressful right now.

Update (12/31/10) - I have used the pills another two times this week, I do feel like it is working a little bit better.  Today I am at the point that I am relaxed and it is making me a little sleepy and I hope to fall asleep quickly.  I figured, if I still had 27 pills left I might as well keep using them!  So, if you do try the pills, don't give up after the first pill. But they do not keep me asleep so waking in the middle of the night is still a problem.

Update (4/14/11) - My insomnia has returned so I decided to take one of these pretty blue pills again last night.  Within 15 minutes my eyes were starting to close and I yearned for my bed.  I fell asleep so fast but my insomnia is so strong that I still woke up at 2:30am and I was tired when I woke and had a bit of a grogginess for several hours.  Of course, you are SUPPOSED to get like eight hours of sleep when taking an aid/pill, and since I didn't I think I was just more bleek today.  Maybe I am just at the point in my life where I only need 4-5 hours of sleep.  I am starting to like the pills even more to at least relax me enough to fall asleep quickly.  Hopefully tonight I can get a bit more rest and will try the pill again.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the info. I just bought the pills and wanted to see if there were any negatives posted about them. You may know this, but if not here you go. Benedryl (sp), the allergy medicing, is a cheap way to go. It knocks me on my fanny and it keeps me asleep. Maybe it will work for you. Of course it is off label use but it really works. I have an aversion to any drugs that is why I'm trying the "natural" approach and not benedryl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an awesome review. Thank you. I myself have problems sleeping and my gfs mom bought these Nature made sleep pills and I don't like taking pills without knowing about them and what not. So thank you! hope you've been able to sleep better

    ReplyDelete