Monday, December 20, 2010

Poisoning my co-workers one grain of sugar at a time

After my volunteer four hour shift wrapping gifts to raise money for Child Abuse, I went home and make 4 types of cookies for my co-workers and the two building concierges that I like.  Nothing fancy this year - Chocolate Chip, Red Velvet Chocolate Chip, Oatmeal Raisin and Magic Bars: classic cookies that are fast to make and tasty.  In the past I try to make something new, something different (Macadamia nut, double chocolate, thin mints, Oatmeal with M&Ms and chocolate chips, etc) and since I love to cook/bake and I can't possibly eat everything I make - I share it.  This year I was not sure if I'd bother with cookies since I am not feeling the Christmas Spirit, but a fellow co-worked asked me if I would be doing it this year, and really - how can I say no? 

I picked up this cute snowman container and loaded a dozen or more of each cookie in there and wrapped the cookies for the concierges in their own containers.   Who doesn't like a sweet treat during the work day? No one, which is why I brought more cookies for the snowman to refill mid-day.  Sometimes, I even bring in more cookies the next day (same kinds) because they go so fast and really I don't need them tempting me to eat them at home.

Then I started to think...why is it OK to give people homemade treats at Christmas but not at Halloween? Is it just because Halloween is a 'scary' holiday and with scary comes poison? 

Most women elect to use poison as a means to kill someone.  The poison can take a long time to kill and used to be harder to detect. Now with all the testing, one needs to be super clever to actually pull it off.   I am not ready to murder my co-workers even the three I can't stand, but does baking for them count as poisoning since there is all this chatter about how horrible flour and sugar are for people?  Ah, they are adults and they can demonstrate their will power not to eat if they didn't want that extra intake of sugar & flour...but guaranteed they will all have at least 4 cookies today (and some probably closer to 10).

Anyway I just got really off track - point is, even though I am not feeling Christmasy this year, but in the last few days I have really tried to do good so others can enjoy the holiday even more. And really, isn't that what it is all about?


P.S.  I can't wait for Sunday. And I give the Jewish population and all those other ethnic groups who don't celebrate Christmas a lot of credit.  You can't escape Christmas.  The radio, the stores, the people. It is so out of control.

1 comment:

  1. Wow....I like the sound of those cookies Denise.
    I hope your Christmas is bearable and I wish the best for you in 2011.
    See you next year!

    ReplyDelete