Sunday, December 19, 2010

Good Grief

Many don't realize how complicated grief is and the process that goes along with it.  While everyone deals with the timing of the steps differently, all must endure the fully cycle to heal.  Most claim there are five stages of grief:

1. Denial
2. Anger
3. Bargaining
4. Depression
5. Acceptance

but I like the seven steps better since I feel more in line & it resonates more with me:

1. Shock & Denial
2. Pain & Guilt
3. Anger & Bargaining
4. Depression
5. The Upward Turn
6. Reconstruction
7. Acceptance & Hope

I have went through some of these steps out of order.  But I am proud to tell you that the anger that I was missing in my grieving process was missing for the last four years. However, in the last month or two, I have been angry and in an odd way - it makes me happy. So while I cry in pain I am also crying in happiness at the same time.  Once the anger goes away - and I am simultaneously working on reconstruction and hope - I will be all better. 

source

Hopefully I will be fully healed in a few months and start my new journey. My new life.

For those of you that will grieve, know that it can take a LONG time. Longer than others realize until they are in a similar situation.  Don't listen to them about what you are supposed to feel or the timing - they don't know and may not understand.  Good luck. 

No comments:

Post a Comment