Friday, April 29, 2011

Background check

A co-worker suggested to me that I should get a background check on my potential mates.  Sure that makes total sense - if I don't want a felon. But what is included in the standard packages for someone?  Generally:
  • criminal record
  • drug background
  • property they own
  • debt
  • marriage/divorce history
  • licenses
  • registered voter
  • court records
  • children
If you hire a private investigator, they will also follow this person for a while and might be able to dig up a little more dirt.

The above sounds like it would be helpful...but just because someone doesn't have a criminal record yet - doesn't mean you'll end up happy or that your significant other won't have issues later on.

So, I wonder, is it worth it?  It might be if you meet someone online and before you pick up and move to Montana you need to know certain things. But for the most part, I don't really think it is.  There may be times when something doesn't feel right and you know your beau is concealing something - but it might not be what you think.  If that is the case then you might want to consider it, but if you have to go through all that, does that mean you don't trust someone enough and perhaps shouldn't be with them?  I wonder, if I had a background check on SI before picking up and moving in with him, if anything would have come up.  Maybe I would have saved myself a lot of time in the recovery...but I doubt it, I still would have been shocked and hurt and tried to work it out.

I'll keep this idea in the back of my mind when I get far enough in a relationship to not risk loosing so much of myself but I really hope I won't need to utilize these kinds of services.

1 comment:

  1. your co-worker have a good suggestion. yes, get first a background check to that person before you go for date. because, it's so important to know if that person have a criminal records, so that you will be safe and protected.

    ReplyDelete