Friday, August 5, 2011

Review: The Change-Up

About 4 years ago or so, SI and I were walking the streets of Manhattan and were invited to screen a movie for Smokin' Aces, so we ended up going.  I enjoyed it and decided to sign up for notification; since then I rarely attended since I didn't know anyone else in the city - I probably went to three.  At the end of July I was invited to screen The Change-Up with Jason Bateman and Ryan Reynolds.  I decided I wanted to go by myself...since I needed to fulfil my own quota for solo things this month.

Since I went by myself, I was able to get in line early, I was number 29...which meant that I got a decent seat - and read my book for about an hour.  At these events, they have the last row or two and the first few rows set aside for the public viewers...the rest of the rows are reserved for movie critics or people associated with the film.  I wish the people would seat the incomers because it was so annoying telling people that seats were taken or free..but I guess that is all part of it.  My seat neighbors on my left were a young lesbian couple who were so annoying. The more 'manish' of the two had her shoes off and her feet stunk, was sitting with her legs open so wide, and half the time her hand was either in her pants are right under the top part.  The 'girly' one was annoying with all her complaining and whining.  The girl on my right was alone and we spoke just a few words...you can tell she was annoyed with some of the people too.

I saw previews of The Change-Up on TV and when I went to see Friends with Benefits just days before.  I have to be honest, even the preview didn't make me want to see this movie...but when I got the notice, I figured I needed a 'light' movie to laugh a bit.  And what is with Jason Bateman making a comeback (he was in Horrible Bosses; which I also saw this month) - sure he has had a bunch of small rolls...but two leads in a month?  Did you know he grew up in Rye NY? That is really close to me. I am getting off topic.

The movie starts - and what is great about a screening is there are no previews. As I am sure you have seen the trailers...you know that Mitch (Ryan Reynolds) and Dave (Jason Bateman) piss in a fountain wishing for each other's lives; and very different lives they lead.  Dave is married with three kids and has a great job whereas Mitch is single and does not know much about responsibility and following through.  So like any typical switch-up movie, they freak out when they discover what happens, make a mess out of things while trying to adjust then figure out how to adjust and be proud of what they made of the other's lives - then have a moment of clarity at the same time to want their other life back. 

What I noticed almost immediately is how crooked Ryan Reynolds' bottom teeth are.  I kept looking at them.  What can I say - I value straight teeth.  I am not sure why people with money don't correct simple problems like that...it can't be their trademark - well for him anyway!

So, the movie had some super unrealistic parts that made me appreciate it less...starting in the first 5 minutes when shit flys across and lands in a mouth through day 1 of the transformation when the new 'Dave' is dealing with his twins...how he picks them up & what the kids do on the counter through the whole movie...DISLIKED.   However, there were a few funny lines that I silently chuckled at.  I pictured my 13 year old nephew LOVING this movie...if he was allowed to see an R rated movie...because it is the kind of humor immature people find hilarious.

If I had to rate the movie I'd give it a 3 of 10; maybe?  I wrote about Horrible Bosses not long ago - about that I didn't really like it, but in comparison to this movie...I liked Horrible Bosses a lot better as it was funnier and a little more entertaining.

Apparently reading a pre-screening review from Matthew Fong who enjoyed the movie a lot...maybe it has something to do with being a guy.  Matt Gamble's review is more on my level...the movie which is rated R has a lot of just childish scenarios/gross out humor/pre-pubescent stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment