Thursday, August 18, 2011

Review: Lalibela

Can I tell you how much I love Ethiopian food?  This cuisine seems to be a bit more rare then most other cuisines such as Mexican, Chinese, Thai, Italian, Indian, etc.  I am fortunate that I had an ex that liked these other kinds of food and exposed me to some amazing flavors.  I tried two or three places in both Washington DC and New York City.  But my favorite Ethiopian food was in Montclair NJ - Mesob Restaurant.  I frequented this place enough that at one point the owner/waiter knew us and we'd always order the meat sampler and bring our own wine.  Unfortunately when I moved my Ethiopian consumption was practically nill. 

A month ago while trying to find a new restaurant to try, my research brought me to a website announcing the opening of Lalibela an Ethiopian Restaurant in Mt. Kisco NY...the first of its kind in Westchester County.  I was overjoyed..but what was the date on that article?  May 2010? Why was I just hearing about it NOW? 

I finally found someone to go there with me (believe it or not, it was hard to find someone interested in eating something unfamiliar and with their hands) yesterday.  I ordered the meat combo which included Siga Wat, Yebag wat, Doro Wat and Misir Wat, Shiro Wat and Cabbage and he ordered the Kitfo.  I really liked all my dishes - however I really didn't try the Doro Wat because it had a bone it in and I didn't really know the person across the table from me.  I loved the lentils (misir wat) and split pea (shiro wat).  I could have eaten more since it has been months since I've had it...but again, I barely knew the person I was with and didn't want to seem like a huge pig...not that it mattered...it wasn't a date, per sae.

I forgot to take a picture, but I found one on their site

I have to say that I still like Mesob in Montclair better for a few reasons (including the selections in the sampler [doro tibs, ye'bang aletcha, sides come with the meat selections], the company I went with, the ambiance, and that I don't remember burping it up so much)...but I am still really glad someplace opened up in Westchester; I am sure I'll be back at some point. 

No comments:

Post a Comment