Thursday, August 4, 2011

Time for the dreaded DMV

A trip to the DMV is always an interesting adventure.  Although I switched my license over three years ago, I was up for renewal.  This time around an eye test was needed (you can submit results from eye doctor, but it must be with in 6 months), so I headed over to one of the NYC express locations.  There were a lot of people waiting, but I was able to go in and get my ticket number with out waiting; ticket B358 I look at the board they were on B317 - I had a lot of time to wait.  I head over to the next counter for a picture and eye exam, no line here either.  I was surprised they asked if I wanted my picture taken.  It was a heat have and my hair was a bit 'big' but I decided I should have a new picture anyway - as I am aging, I think it would be a better representative of who I currently am, big hair or not.  I think that should be mandatory.  I've been lucky, I've only had three pictures on my licenses and I've looked great in all of them...so if this is my first bad picture, so be it (and since I plan on moving in the next 8 years...I'll have a new picture taken at that time).  My current picture is from when I was around 28 and if my new license is valid for eight years...I'll resemble my 28 year old youth at 40...but no doubt I'll look a bit different.  So far this process has taken me all of 8 minutes. 


2008-2011
 
2011 - 2019
 I move over to the vestibule area (where there is probably only seating for about 15 people) and stand reading my book for 55 more minutes.  Or I try to read...there is so much noise.  The interesting people coming in, the screaming baby, the toddlers running around in circles around me, the people who keep getting told to not sit on the counters, etc.  Finally my number is called and I go to the counter.  I hand the man my paperwork, he tells me I owe $80.40 and then prints out a temporary license.  That part took about 2 minutes.  Total was 10 minutes of 65.  55 minutes to wait just to pay and have something printed?  That seems so inefficient.  Why can't more people take picture and administer eye exams and just take the money?

I am OK with my new picture...sure it isn't the best, but compared to so many other people's? It does look like me, just with big uneven hair.

No comments:

Post a Comment