Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Sleep tight, don't let the bedbugs bite

I am having cellulose insulation filled in my walls and bedroom ceiling.  I hope that this additional layer of stuff makes the noise harder to penetrate our thin walls.  For the last two years, since I have lived here, I have had the unfortunate issue of sleep disorders.  Most caused by outside noise, ie. neighbors.  Before living here, I did suffer some sleep problems too - sometimes it went from not being able to fall asleep to falling asleep with no problems but waking up in the middle of the night.  Of course stress could have played a factor, even if it was a very low level of stress.  Surprisingly, I am usually OK with the trains that pass in the middle of the night or the cars, but I wake up in an instant with a slamming door or foot steps from above.  This sleep deprivation has caused all sorts of problems - moodiness, lack of work production, irritability, exhaustion, weight gain, stress, you name it.  I try not to take pills and have not tried an OTC sleep aid for fear I'd have to take every night.  I did use ear plugs for a while, but those hurt the ears of extended use.  I then had to resort to only being able to fall asleep with my finger in my ear. 

So, I hope this works!  To prep my apartment, I had to empty all the closets and move the furniture.  Thank goodness yesterday was a holiday and I had time to do this as it took hours.  I ran out of places to hide my belongings...the tub, microwave (which is still broken) and stove were all full.  The men get here and it seems like we are off to a slow start.  Then they starting to put up all this plastic to help make clean up from all the dust easier. I feel like I am quarantined. I am 'trapped' in my kitchen.  They kept telling me I should leave, do some shopping or go get lunch.  But I don't...I have that issue of not fully trusting people, so I stay.  Although I am sure that nothing would be missing when I return.  So here I am in my kitchen, blogging about this...and it seems like they are having an issue with the hose to bring the insulation into the apartment...this day might never end. 

I am very much looking forward to seeing how this works.  They started to cut small holes so the insulation will fill the space between the studs, I would guess the holes are about 1 1/2 to 2 inches in diameter.  I will measure later.  The cellulose fiber coming into the unit is not loud at all.

The first guy arrived at 10am.  They didn't start picking up the pace until about noon, when someone else got there.   So in all this process for my small 650 square foot place took 9 hours.

I am not sure how well the insulation will work - I am hoping I can sleep through the night.  Not wake up when she gets up.  Not wake up because she is talking on the phone.  If it still isn't enough, I will probably install another layer of Sheetrock in my bedroom ceiling with green glue. 


I feel I should mention bedbugs quickly, since it is in the name of the post.  The phrase my parents said growing up...is becoming a new reality.  Back in the day, people slept in hay, and therefore bugs would bite them.  Now however we are facing a pandemic of the return of the bedbugs. I am petrified of bugs  and what could be worse then having them in your bed? Don't get me wrong, I am a realist and I know there are certain bugs that live in our bed/couches that eat our dead skin cells.  I am fine with that.  But these little guys that are like apple seeds, those suckers are hard to get rid of.  I haven't done my own research, but from what a co-worker who has them has told me is that even fumigating their house isn't enough.  They had to dispose of their mattress and other items.  They were also told that the bug could live up to one year with out eating.  One year! So they can be there and you don't even know it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment