Tuesday, October 19, 2010

A few of my FAVORITE things, part 2


I don't use it very often, but I love the pampered chef can stainer.  It is made from a durable plastic, washes easily, and of course is easy to use.  I drain beans and olives the most.  Pampered chef has other great gadgets.  If you are ever invited to a party but don't want to spend a lot of money, there have some affordable things.  The can drainer is $5.  http://www.pamperedchef.com/


I tend to eat eggs, cream of wheat or cereal for breakfast.  However I realized that most cereals do not hold me over and I am hungry fairly early in the morning.  Then I found Quaker Oatmeal Squares.  I love this cereal and just recently bought 8 boxes when they were on sale.  The cereal stays fairly in shape/hard when you eat it.  I love the brown sugar one, but the cinnamon isn't that bad either.  It also makes a great snack or you can sprinkle it in yogurt. 

A few years ago, the Container Store came out with the life hammer.  I picked one up for about $15.  You are supposed to keep this in a place you can reach it in your car, and in the event of an emergency, the life hammer can shatter the windows, or cut the seat belt so you can exit the car (provided you can move). I loved this so much, that it was my Christmas present to my sisters.  Now that I just got a car, I have to be sure to remember to put it in the care.  They also make a smaller keychain version for the same price.   http://www.containerstore.com/welcome.htm

Stana Katic's plays detective Kate Beckett on ABC's Castle.  I really liked her hair last season (season 2).  It has grown a bit now and I don't like it as much, but last year I thought I should style mine similar to hers.  Her wardrobe also took a turn for something I don't consider detectives wearing on a regular basis, including stilettos. The show is still good.  If you haven't seen it, check it out. I think Natan Fillion is adorable on the show.  http://abc.go.com/shows/castle





Last in this segment of favorites is my rain coat by Vineyard Vines.  I received this rain jacket from SI or his family about 7 years ago.  The jacket keeps me dry and is light weight, although when it is humid out, I do sweat and feel stuck to the jacket when prying it off my arms.  SI's sister started working for this really small company long ago and we were able to get a nice discount.  I have watched strangers on the train sport their ties, shoppers in NYC carrying their totes, and some products being sold in retail stores as well as a few of their own stores.  Also, their clothing line has probably tripled in the last 8 years.  Vineyard Vines is known for their small repeating patterns and casual preppy yacht club look.  Way back in the day, they were virtually unheard of and I was wearing them, making me somewhat 'fashionable' for the first time, ever.  I have two classic totes, this great jacket, a sash, two tee shirts, flip flops and pajama pants.  Now, before you head over to there site, I will warn you, some items are expensive.  http://www.vineyardvines.com/home___

2 comments:

  1. I really need a rain coat, I hate the bulk of winter coats; they are so hard to move in (drive in, ice skate it) and I love this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Denise, thanks for the rec of the cereal. I saw it on sale at Target and picked up a box of the cinnamon kind. Had it for the first time this morning, and super good! Thanks :) Also, I might have to check out that strainer from pampered chef!

    ReplyDelete