Saturday, October 9, 2010

Biggest Regrets

Everyone has regrets.  Here are some of mine (in no order):

Not knowing how to go about getting my invention patented when I was in middle/high school.  Someone made millions.  Not me...but I should have.  Who overheard me?  *And since I have another one in my  head, I should act upon it before it is too late again.

Not sticking out all the science classes for my bachelor's degree so I would have had a science degree.  Instead I thought by year 3 that looking through a microscope all day for the rest of my life would have been torture.  I didn't see the bigger picture. I deeply regret that decision.

Went back to school for MBA.  I did it for the entirely wrong reason.  It has not been worth it, my salary stinks, my profession isn't ideal, I will be paying off the loan for way too many years.  I should have stuck with a CUNY or SUNY school or let your job pay for your education.  Save your money.

I should have bought the condo down the street from my grandmother.  Sure, parking was not ideal, but at the low price of 80,000 for a spacious 1 bedroom unit - I would have tripled that easily when I moved out.  If only I got on the real estate bandwagon before it burst.

Not have sex with Jackson.  Super cute guy from college I had a crush on. We made out.  I slept over.  But I was too new at sex that I didn't do it.  Why not?  Would anything have changed?

Give SI too much credit.  Be willing to take him back.  Waited 4 years for him to get his life in order when I didn't focus on mine.  I should have known long before when I didn't like his last name with my first name that it wouldn't work.  I should have known and trusted my guts before it got out of control.

Tried that new make up that totally reacted really badly to my skin causing me to go on Accutane for 6 months, thus providing me so much insecurity.  And then after that affected my triglycerides, my eating habits didn't got back to normal, and now, 9 years later, I weigh 15 pounds more than I should and I have a messed up liver.

Being rude to some people in school.  I never really teased anyone (that I am aware of) but I wasn't nice to a few of the 'losers' that had crushes on me.  Well, I said hi and stuff, but I wouldn't consider dating them.  Overall, I do not think anyone can remember me as a mean spirit - so I am happy about that, but I think I could have been nicer.  Especially after reading about so many kids hurting themselves and others because they do not know how to react to the bullying, so they overreact and kill.

Not having children before I was 30.  Let's add being married to that while I am at it.  My plan didn't go according to how I thought.   Now I will be an older parent or not a parent.  Tough considering it has been my only real desire since I was 22. And I was not in the right frame of mind or financially secure enough to take matters into my own hands from 27 - present.

Being 'too good' in high school, college and as an adult.  Fear of not having fun or experiencing life.  Being jealous of everyone else.

Even after obtaining MBA degree, when job searching I didn't go with job in my field, I didn't go with job that paid well.  I went with the job that was 'easy' and had flexibility so I could be happy at home.  Hey, it worked at the time...for 4 months.   And now 4 1/2 years later am having a very hard time finding something else.

Not listening to other people's advice. Having to figure some really hard stuff out on my own. Could have saved me a lot of time...but I do not think anyone really just listens, they have to figure it out themselves - which makes it a lesson learned.

Allowing a higher up co-worker inform HR that you were leaving the job...before you even knew and not doing anything about it.  Why would you just go with the flow based on what someone else assumed? You should have fought for yourself and stuck it out...and you would have been the companies youngest assistant branch manager and maybe your career would have been way better than it is now.

Do you have a biggest regret?

No comments:

Post a Comment