Friday, October 8, 2010

Childhood favorites carries on to adulthood

I'm not going to lie. I might sound a little childish.  But, I love chocolate milk and mac & cheese.  Not together of course but each separately. 

I can eat mac & cheese several times a week without getting bored with it.  I don't of course, I do try to eat a better, more balanced foods and eat it about once a month or twice, if I am lucky.  Sometimes I even make homemade mac & cheese that is my absolute favorite.   But for 50 cents a box...why wouldn't you eat the boxed kind? 

Growing up my parents bough Kraft on a regular basis.  When 'I grew up' I attempted to eat the Annie's Mac & Cheese, but I thought it was disgusting.  Ate it once, that was more than enough.  I went back to Kraft, but realized I would have to poop soon after eating it.  I then tried the generic, store bought A&P variety (I've had Stop & Shop too) and I have to say, I absolutely LOVE it.  I don't poop right after eating it, it has a nice consistency and it is cheaper. What more could I want?

Now, if you want to make the home made kind, it is a very vague recipe:
1) In a pot, boil water and cook pasta according to directions.  Approx. 3/4 of the box works well, but you could do the whole box.  Elbows or small shells work well.

2) In another pot, melt 2 tablespoons butter and 2 tablespoons of flour over med-low heat.  Stir constantly until well combined and thick. 
Slowly add 1 cup of milk (skim milks works worst, but I use it all the time since that is what I drink).   I mean slowly.  Add a little at a time, and make sure it is mixed with the flour and butter.  You will see what I mean.  Once all the milk is added, the sauce mixture should be a good consistency, add milk or use less as you see fit. 
Add cheese.  I generally add Cheddar and a little bit of Mozzarella.  However, I do not have an amount to add, I go according to taste. I like to taste the cheese, so I am very generous about how much I add. 
Taste with salt and pepper (I do not add salt and pepper to my food, but in homemade mac & cheese, it IS a necessity to make it taste way better - you could do it once it is separated in bowls to fit each persons need.  But I would add some, and then add more later).  
Mix the pasta with the sauce.  I eat it like this, however - some people throw it in the oven (sometimes with bread crumbs) for a nice toasty top.

3) enjoy.  If you are going to re-heat (which I don't recommend) it tastes better heated up on the stove.  It is edible in the microwave, but just not as good, and the cheese seems to not melt evenly.

4) Of course you can add variations, different cheeses, add beef or peppers, etc.

1 comment:

  1. When I make home made mac and cheese I like to use jack and cheddar then a few tabelspoons of sour cream. Do you grate your own cheese? If you do it makes it so much better.

    ReplyDelete