Saturday, October 16, 2010

Pot Luck Ideas

Last  year a few of my mom's friends and family friends decided to get together for dinner.   Our first dinner was ordered in.  We had such a great time, that we wanted to schedule something every month, and decided to start a potluck so it wouldn't be so expensive and so one person didn't have to make a huge dinner.  A year and a half later it has been a success!  Of course we miss months, but that happens with every one's schedules.  We try to rotate the food: Main Courses, Sides, Dessert, Drinks.  But since there are generally 6-9 of us, there is always more than enough food.

I wish I had thought about keeping a log of the theme's we picked and will be better going forward.

August 2009 - Tapas (I made potatoes with pink sauce and hot spicy shrimp)
September 2009 - Pie (I made a deep dish pizza)
October 2009 - One Pot/Pan Dishes (I made an Oreo ice cream cake)
November 2009 - Childhood Favorites (I made mac & cheese)December 2009 - Cookie Swap - we made cookies instead of having a regular potluck


January 2010 - Breakfast (we went to the diner)

March 2010 - ? I don't remember
April 2010 - Italian
May 2010 - BBQ
June, July & August we didn't get together
September 2010 - Light Summer Fare
October 2010 - Fall Harvest (I made pumpkin cheesecake)
November 2010 - Soup & Sandwich

I like having a theme.  It really helps me try to be either creative or try something new.  In fact, I encourage people in our group to try new things - who cares if it comes out gross - at least you tried...and there is always plenty of food.

No comments:

Post a Comment