Wednesday, October 27, 2010

I've fallen and I can't get up

I had a fantastic trip (post to follow) but on my last day, I somehow fell and sprained my ankle.  I felt really bad that we were not able to finish the corn maze due to my injury.  This was a first for me, I never broke a bone or twisted an ankle.  I think I jammed a finger a few times playing basketball - but other than that, this was amongst my 'worst' injuries! 

I don't know how I fell - and it happened so fast but in slow motion. I remember when my foot touched the ground - I knew right away I was going to fall.  And it hurt.  At first I was speechless.  Then I whimpered 'ouch, oh that hurts' or something. I don't know.  Anne came rushing over and I was able to get up after a little bit.  Flying with a new injury was not easy.  My ziplock bag of ice started leaking and I could not get comfortable in the small area. I wobbled for the next few days.  At first the swelling wasn't too bad, but by the next day, it was like I had a baseball protruding under my skin.  Day 3 I went to the doctor and he gave me an anti-inflammatory which really helped reduce the swelling and prescribed me an air cast.  However, an air cast is a 'durable medical good' and therefore, obtaining one according to my insurance company benefits is harder than it seemed.  The pharmacy, even though they had it, would not give it to me unless I wanted to pay out of pocket.  If I wanted it covered, I had to go to select offices - mostly orthopedic or prosthetic places - and by the time I got there the offices closed!  Instead I've been ace bandaging it up.  The anti-inflammatory really messed with me after the first take - I was nauseous and dizzy for my commute to work.  On day 5, I am happy to report my swelling is about 1/3 of what it was!  I am walking a lot better but it is still very sore and keeps me up at night.

If this picture doesn't look too bad to you - I would like to tell you my ankles are my best feature. I have very small ankles and thin bottom legs.

1 comment:

  1. HOLY CRAP!!! I can't believe that's just a sprain! Dang girl, you're a trooper. You're keeping it elevated, right? Hope it's heals sooner rather than later, I've sprained many an ankle, it's definitely no fun.

    ReplyDelete