Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Day 09 - Someone you didn't want to let go, but you just drifted

A nice surprise - this post is NOT about SI!  Woot!

In college I became really good friends with this girl, T, who lived down the hall freshman year.  I soon transferred out of that college but visited this girl occasionally on weekends.  After we graduated, we were spending a lot of time together, especially in the summer.  Her mom was very ill and passed away and I think that brought our relationship even closer.  I always had a wonderful time with her, her family and her friends.   I was there through all her boy stories and troubles (SI and I would love reading about all the drama and think we were so happy to not deal with that!).  She started dating a new guy - and we even did a weekend ski trip together as couples.  I didn't really 'see' them together.  He is not who I pegged her to be with, and so many things seemed off.  But she was happy and therefore so was I.  Unfortunately, my sudden breakup with SI came at a really bad time, as she just got engaged the month before.  Of course I was happy for her, but when she kept asking me to go to Bridal shows, I couldn't.  And I thought it was very unreasonable for her to get mad that I couldn't do it.  I mean, here I was two months later, a complete mess.  Realizing I wouldn't be getting married anytime soon...that I was single. I WAS happy for her, but I didn't want to be a part of the planning.  Forgive me.  Try talking about your babies to someone who can't get pregnant or had a miscarriage - it isn't easy.  We slowed down in our talking over the next year, and I only saw her once.  Her wedding was beautiful, of course.  A little over the top elegant if you ask me. And we never spoke since.  I honestly dont' remember if I even got a thank you card.

One of her guy friends is my friend on facebook and has my cell, so occasionally he asks about me.  Why didn't I go to her bday party? Why didn't I go X, he had hoped to see me.  I missed her a lot in the beginning, but now, not so much.  Its been 3 years.  Our mutual friend does not fill me in on her life, and that is OK, I don't ask either. I don't really want to know.

UPDATE: A weird turn of events.  I pre-wrote this message when I was going to be away.  And I received an email from her on Oct 12th.  Very vague, asking if we can meet up for dinner in NYC one night.  I haven't written back yet. I am not good at rekindling relationships.  Last time I tried, the girl never apologized and talked and I was very uncomfortable.  And if T is reaching out now b/c she is pregnant or something, then it would be like she is rubbing it in my face with how great her life has been, when mine has been horrible.  So, I am not sure if I will agree to this.  What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment