Saturday, January 3, 2015

roller skating fun at Skate City, a review

I went to Skate City with my friend and her two children, 4 and 7.  The school gave out coupons to use during the break, so we only had to pay $2 for skate rental and the skating part was free for two hours.  Naturally with a deal like that, the place was busy; which was nice to see...I haven't been roller skating since I was about 8 and didn't know roller rinks were still around!

The skates come in full sizes only and for adults in men's sizes only so women...you need to convert your size.  I normally wear an 8.5 - 9....and the 7's were a little tight, which became uncomfortable after a while of skating.

We rented these walkers for $4 each for the kids...and that was smart, the kids lacked a little balance and this really helped...of course it didn't prevent them from falling!  We each took a kid and skated with/next to them so they can go at their own pace.  Half way through our skating I asked my friend if wearing a helmet would have been good for the kids since they fell, a lot.

It took a few laps for me to get used to skates again and I enjoyed skating.  I felt like a kid - it was great!

They played top 40 music which was fine.  They dim the lights so much and some times had strobe lights...which make me dizzy, but is probably fine for most of the people there.  The darkness made it a little more difficult to take non-blurry pictures...but again, it was only so many people's first time skating that the dimness did set the mood.

Every thirty minutes they had a 'game' or race - while we didn't participate in those, it was fun to watch.  There were all different levels of skaters from first timers to very advanced as well as a wide range of ages from little kids skating alone or with their parents to teenagers.  Everyone was so nice; especially the younger kids...they were constantly helping up other kids that fell or asking if they were OK.

Overall, for $5 for skating for 2 hours and reasonable skate rentals if you don't bring your own...I think Skate City is a great place to spend a few hours if you want to do something fun and different and get out of the house.  They also have coupons, promotions, special events and host birthday/private parties.

No comments:

Post a Comment