I could have donated the books to libraries or other book sales but they would probably be recycled. I didn't want all those books to go to waste.
I started to do some research to find out where I can donate these books for their intended purpose - to teach. And who better to teach than those that want to learn...but don't have the resources? OK, so the books are several years old - but they were mostly science and math - and that doesn't change tremendously for the 'basics'.
Books for Africa was the charity I decided to donate my books to. I had to ship my books to a warehouse in Georgia (It cost me $35 for about 70 pounds) and then they collect enough books to get a crate to ship to Africa. If you don't have books to donate, you can donate to their funds for the crate shipment - it is about 50 cents per book. After my donation, I received a standard thank you letter to use as a tax write-off.
At the time I posted this, Books for Africa accepted the following (but check their website for the most up to date information).
Books For Africa Warehouse-Atlanta 2971 Olympic Industrial Drive SE, Suite B Smyrna, GA 30080 USA
Books For Africa accepts:
- 15 years old or newer popular fiction and nonfiction reading books (soft and hard cover).
- 1998 or newer publish date primary, secondary, and college textbooks (soft and hard cover).
- 2003 or newer reference books such as encyclopedias and dictionaries.
- 1998 or newer publish date medical, nursing, IT, and law books.
- Bibles are sent when requested by African recipients. We will accept Bibles or religious books, please place them in a box separate from other donations and mark the box as “Religious texts.”
- School/office supplies—paper, pencils, pens, wall charts, maps, etc.
Acceptable books are gently used and relevant to an African reader.
Books For Africa does NOT accept:
- Magazines or journals of any kind, including academic journals.
- Home decorating or wedding books.
- Ethnocentric books, such as the biography of Abraham Lincoln or the history of Ohio.
- Foreign language books except for French books. French novels and dictionaries are welcome.
- American history or civics.
- Music books for K–12.
- Murder mysteries or anything with “kill,” “die,” “murder,” etc. in the title.
Next time you are cleaning out the garage, basement or attic, and find books you aren't using, I implore you to donate them. Books for Africa might be a great place to donate to for items you know your local library will not accept.