Saturday, March 9, 2013

attempt at simple cake decorating

I am always looking for new things to try, and lately I've been having a really hard time using the icing bag  - so I haven't made as many cakes or cupcakes as I would have liked.

I decided to sign up for a cake decorating class at a local cake store.  I wasn't sure who else would show up to such an event.  It turns out there was 6 of us: three high school girls, me, and two older ladies.

We didn't bake the cake, that was already done when we got there since this was a decorating class.  We learned techniques for the box, the cake board, and of course the icing and dyes.


One of the first things we learned is the crumb icing.  This was new to me, and what a great thing to know since it really helps the crumbs from getting into the icing.

After we applied a very thin layer of icing, we put the cake in the fridge for a little while to set.

We then learned how to make an icing bag using parchment paper...and I was shocked how easy it was.  To get a feel for the icing and bag, we learned how to make some designs.  Making the designs takes practice, and we didn't have a lot of time.  I had a hard time with the "shell" and a tight & small zigzag, but caught on to the flower and rope.

From there we iced the cake with the butter icing - a talent learned from more practice.  I had a hard time getting it even coated and nice and smooth looking.

Next we were able to use some of those decorating skills on the cake.  It was suggested to use decoration on the bottom of the cake/cake board so the cake looks more finished.

I really wasn't sure how to decorate my cake.  I practiced the flowers, the rope, dots and some writing.

The instructor suggested trying to use some UUU - I am drawing a blank what it is called, it is the purple droopy like thing on the cake.  She assured me that the cake wasn't supposed to look great, but used as practice, so while I wanted my cake to look somewhat decent, she made a good point, I was there to learn.  So I tired.

I wasn't thrilled with my loop UUU things, but at least it added a little color to the cake.

I was very pleased with my roping.

This weekend I hope to make a cake so I can continue to practice even more.

I am not looking to become the cake boss or anything, but I'd like to have the skill to at least pull of a decent looking homemade cake for when I have a small get together.

No comments:

Post a Comment