Thursday, April 8, 2010

What the beep?

I was in a sound sleep last night, which is very surprising for me lately as I have trouble sleeping. Anyway, I am in the middle of my REM cycle and I hear beeping. Of course the first thing I do is incorporate it into my dream but then it happened again. I sit up and its gone. I am going crazy, surely. Two minutes later the beeps continue. I get out of bed and walk over to the kitchen in the complete darkness. It's my microwave. It says F3. What does F3 mean? The timer wasn't on, I wasn't cooking, it can't be a low battery, I am baffled. I try hitting some buttons in the dark, but it is still beeping, and I am starting to feel bad, I don't want to wake my neighbors. I get the stool empty the cabinet and unplug the microwave. AHHH silence. I make my sleepy way back to my bed in the complete darkness.

Now I am back in bed but can't fall back to sleep. I lay there and start thinking I went about following the noise in such a poor manner. Instead of just walking to the kitchen without a care in the world - shouldn't I have grabbed a flash light or turned on every light in my small apartment to see if someone broke in (I sleep with the windows open all the time) and that was just a decoy to steal all my super valuable possessions (I don't think I have any) or to kill me while awake (you know, because my murderer can't be a wuss and do it while I was sleeping).

So what does that say about me? Am I too secure about my environment and myself? Am I too naive that something bad would actually happen to me? Do I not need a man to protect me from such things because clearly I didn't even hesitate.

No comments:

Post a Comment