Tuesday, September 9, 2014

The Big Move Road Trip - Day 12

Day 12 was a big decision making day.  Where do I go from Kansas City?  North?  West?   Straight to my destination or do more sightseeing?

I decided to go North and do more sightseeing, which meant Day 12 was the longest driving day.  I drove up through Iowa and stopped at the Squirrel Cage Jail, quite an interesting design for a jail, not too many left in the US.  

I crossed the boarder into South Dakota and really, it was just driving.  Over the past few years, I haven't needed to drive much, I lived so close to everything and took the train to work.  Driving or being in the car for the last 11 days is sort of like riding a bike...you remember that it isn't so bad.  And at some point, you come to appreciate it again.  Even though I spent a good 10 hours driving, I appreciated the time to myself. I thought. I sang.  I talked to my sister on the phone.  I talked to myself.
I made a stop in a small town in South Dakota, which was very much out of my way...but by the time I got there, it was late and most of the town was shut down already.  Oh well.  I continued on to find a hotel near where tomorrow's activities would begin.

After a few tries, I found a room at this motel, the room had two queen beds and a twin...great for traveling families.  Of course I didn't need so much space, but it was all they had.  It felt like a room scary enough that you'd see it in the movies...but the next morning I realized it wasn't that bad.  Could have been worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment