Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Why I love "When Harry Met Sally"

 I can totally relate to so much of When Harry Met Sally.  There are some really good parts of this classic movie.

source
 For instance - can men & women be friends?  I think they can..but not good friends.  Most guys I do look at and wonder if there could be something there.  And when NO, then I think, sure he is OK to be a friend.  But not a good friend.  Once you reach good friend status - not only do people grow on you...but you start reconsidering.  And I have made the mistake of sleeping with just a friend = not good.

Sally talks about not missing the person - just the idea of the person.  That is exactly what I think of all the time.  I don't want my ex back.  And come to think of it, whenever I see / talk to him, I realize all over how true that is.  But more than anything, it is the idea of him (and the old him).

Harry & Sally talk on a stoop about how sex helps you get over someone.  Harry wonders why Sally hasn't had sex to get over Joe and Sally blames Harry for sleeping with most of NY and that hasn't gotten him over Helen.  I can relate because I don't do casual sex.

Marie says "All I'm saying is that somewhere out there is the man you are supposed to marry. And if you don't get him first, somebody else will, and you'll have to spend the rest of your life knowing that somebody else is married to your husband". 

Harry says "The fact that you're not answering leads me to believe you're either (a) not at home, (b) home but don't want to talk to me, or (c) home, desperately want to talk to me, but trapped under something heavy. If it's either (a) or (c), please call me back.".  Since I have first seen this movie, I have used similar choices in a message.

Sally says "He just met her... She's supposed to be his transitional person, she's not supposed to be the ONE. All this time I thought he didn't want to get married. But, the truth is, he didn't want to marry me. He didn't love me."  and in a moment she then says 'what's wrong with me'.   I don't think you need me to tell you how much I can relate to this statement.   

Sally talks about why her & Joe were a great couple, about how great not having children was to a relationship. Then eventually realizing that they didn't do those things they talked about. --> tell me about it!

Harry says "when you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with someone, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible".  Something I have remembered since the first time I saw this movie in the 90s.  That is the kind of gesture and love that I hope someone will one day tell me.

If you haven't seen this movie, you probably should. It is an oldie, but goodie.  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0098635/

2 comments:

  1. I do love that line about the rest of your life starting as soon as possible.

    The idea of a relationship... it's a good idea, I just have no idea how to get there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice blog Denise and a good call on this movie, I used to adore Meg Ryan and funnily enough I've posted about When Harry Met Sally on my blog earlier today.
    Keep up the good work on your blog and I'll try and drop by again soon.
    Paul.

    ReplyDelete