Wednesday, November 3, 2010

I'm not the only smelly one

I am not going to lie, I don't like to lie.  So here it is:  I haven't been enjoying showering lately and in the last two weeks, I have not showered on a regular basis.  I am not being lazy about it, I have lots of extra free time in my day and can afford to spend 10 minutes in the shower.  Also, I do not pay for water, so it is not about me being frugal.  I mean, seriously, whose idea was it to shower daily? Why did it become the norm?

I think it started once I started getting the Coppola Keratin Treatment done.  The hairdresser told me that it isn't good to wash your hair everyday (I've actually known this for a while).  With the treatment, straightening my hair is a much quicker processes.  I hate having my hands over my head for extended periods of time, my arms get all sleepy and I need to take breaks.  Sure, it only takes about 10-15 minutes for me to straighten it (in a not so straight kind of way) but still, why would I want to do that everyday?  So I got to the point where I would jump in the shower with a shower cap AND a towel wrapped around my head so I can wash off and smell clean.  In the summer I tended to need a shower after straightening my hair anyway since I'd get all sweaty.  Also in the summer sometimes I shower 2 or 3 times a day...but that is because I need to cool off, in the winter I rarely feel the need to warm up by taking a shower. Instead, I like to warm up with some hot chocolate or sit by a fire.

But now that the Fall/Winter have arrived, I have to say that I don't like showering.  I do NOT shave my legs on a regular basis in the fall-spring.  Half the time, I go to shower and I have the goosebumps anyway, you can't shave like that. 

Taking it one step further, I feel like I am not THAT dirty/smelly.  I don't exercise so I am not working up a sweat.  Sure, I have some NYC germs on me, but everyone needs germs.  I do wash my hands regularly and brush my teeth too much...so why not cut back on the showering?  I used to think I NEEDED a shower everyday not for cleanliness, but to help wake up.  However, that is not the case, I am a morning person. 

Example - I showered Sunday night (I had powder in my hair from Halloween) so Monday I didn't and I straightened my hair.  Then Tuesday I was going to shower, but I thought my hair still looked pretty awesome, so I didn't.  Instead, I sat in about 2 inches of water in my tub and cleaned the 'important' parts.  Not that they are that 'important' these days.  It was like I was in the 1800s (A time period I think I should have lived in).  I threw on deodorant and a little squirt of perfume (I do not wear perfume on a regular basis, so maybe that should be a hint to friends/coworkers of days I don't shower!) dressed and left for work.

I don't know how many days I would feel comfortable going with out showering, I haven't gotten that crazy yet.  Maybe just every other day, that seems reasonable.  So I was very happy when my friend sent me this article:  http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/31/fashion/31Unwashed.html?pagewanted=1&_r=3 about other people not showering or using deodorant on a daily basis.  I am happy to report, I am not the only {not} smelly one :)

2 comments:

  1. I only shower every other day, and sometimes I go three without washing my hair. As long as you're comfortable I don't think it should matter, I don't love showering all the time in the winter because I get out and I'm wet and freezing; yes, it's nice to jump in bed from there, but then your hair is wet, your pillow is wet and your whole life is ruined because you were too cold to let your hair dry. Maybe that was an overreaction, but still. I seriously don't shower ever day, and you shouldn't have to if you don't want to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't shower every day. I don't have time to shower every day. But I LOVE showers... omg, I stand in the super hot water for a good 20 minutes. And I don't even come close to washing my hair every other day. It's super thick, so it lasts awhile unless I've worked up a good sweat, which, fortunately, hasn't happened because it's been too cold to sweat on my runs.

    ReplyDelete