Friday, November 12, 2010

1-800-I am not stupid

I get a phone call from a number I do not recognize...so I let it go to voicemail.  Apparently that isn't good enough for my caller because a few moments later my phone is ringing again.

me: "Hello, this is Denise"
caller: "who"
me: 'Denise.  How can I help you"
caller:  You called me.
me. 'No, I most certainly did not call you.  The phone rang and I picked it up'
caller: you called me twice.
me: 'no, I did not.  I am at work.  You have called ME twice.  The first time I didn't pick up and you didn't want to leave me a voice mail.  I have no idea who you are.
caller: 'but you called me'
me: 'no. why are we arguing. I have no idea who you are and I am busy at work. Please stop calling me."  Then I hang up

Moments later, the phone rings from a private number.
me "Hello, this is Denise'
caller:  'my wife doesn't speak English well, but she wants to know why you keep calling"
me "your wife has called me.  This is now boarder line harassment.  I have no idea who you and your wife are. I have no need to speak to you.  PLEASE STOP CALLING ME'
caller: 'oh my. I am sorry'
me:  'yes, you should be. now if you don't mind, I must go. All this harassment and I have work to do'

And luckily that was the last of them.  My co-worker was in my office for these conversations and she was laughing.  So, it wasn't really harassment yet...but it could very well escalate to that point.  I mean.  So, even IF I did call her (I did not), and I called by mistake so I hang up...do people really think they need to call that number and ask them questions?  I would never do that.  I do not call people that call me accidentally. I do not call people that don't leave me messages.  I do not give people at the wrong end a hard time about why they aren't so-and-so.  I mean, what does she want, my phone records/bill to show I am not lying? Maybe that is a new scam or something...my willingness to show I am not a liar which leads to stolen identity. You never know.

People have major issues if they have all this free time where they think it is OK or normal to give strangers a hard time about something they had no control over.  Perhaps I should give you their number and you call give them a taste of their own medicine.

2 comments:

  1. Once I called a wrong number then hung up when I realized my mistake, the number called me back a minute later and I picked up to apologize so they would know it had been an accident. Turns out the girl was waiting for a call from the hospital because her brother was sick and she hadn't had an update in a while so she wasn't sure if I was that update or not, then she talked to me for five minutes about how worried she was and how close she and her brother were. When she was done she said thanks for listening... I felt really good about myself after that.

    But, I've also had harassers, and people who text me then don't believe I'm not who they were trying to reach. People can be idiots, just admit you dialed the wrong number and all will be fine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHA! You're a bit feisty, aren't ya?

    Someone called me once about "my ad on the billboard." Awkward.

    ReplyDelete