Tuesday, November 9, 2010

A taste of Savannah

One thing is for sure, I like to try new foods...to some extent.  You will not find me eating anything from Survivor or Fear Factor or whatever that show was called. But when in a new area, I try to eat something from that area...it only makes sense.

When I saw "fried pickles" on the menu one day for lunch...I thought, hmm, that sounds interesting.  Just last year I tried a fried Oreo, so why not try a fried pickle?  I was expecting a pickle to come out, whole and fried.  Instead I was surprised to see a plate full of pickle 'chips'.  Each chip was fried in a thin batter and ranch dressing was served on the side.  I do not like ranch dressing - so I can not give you a critique on that combination.  However, I was surprised to find I did enjoy the pickles.  They were still slightly crunchy and juicy but warm.  Addicting. 

At dinner one evening I tried the fried green tomatoes.  I do not like tomato chunks, but I figured I had to try this...it is such a southern dish.  I took a small bite, and I actually liked it.  It didn't quite taste like a regular red tomato..then again, it was fried, and doesn't anything taste better fried?

That evening I also ordered shrimp with grits. I have never had grits before.  When my dish came out, I was surprised to see the grits were in two triangle patties that were fried. I thought they were pretty good, but a tad bit dry.

The next day I tried cheese grits for breakfast.  Delicious.  I thought the grits were very similar to cream of wheat just ballier. (I just made that word up. The grits are tiny balls whereas the cream of wheat kinds mushes together and is a bit more cohesive.)

My final dinner in town, I ordered grouper.  The grouper had sesame seeds and a peanut sauce served with potatoes.  It was Delicious. It was very much a white fish that wasn't too fishy. The peanut sauce was excellent.  I could have kept eating.

Savannah is also known for some of their sweets.  I was strongly encouraged to try two sweets in particular.  Mind you, they probably sell these everywhere touristy, but to date, I've never had them.  The first was the buckeye - a creamy peanut butter rolled in chocolate.   It was good but dry.  Definitely need to have some water after eating it.  The second thing was a 'gopher' which is pecans stuck together with caramel and chocolate on top.  I know I like turtles, so it was very similar to that - and it was delicious.  You even have your choice if you want milk chocolate, dark chocolate or white chocolate.  I tried it with the milk chocolate.  Yum Yum. I went back the next day to buy a pound of those to take home so my dad could have some (he loves that kind of thing too).  Savannah as quite a selection of ice cream shoppes as well.  Leopold's Ice Cream is 'famous' because a) one of the owners later became a Hollywood producer and b) a loyal customer who when home from Hollywood would frequent the store and later wrote a song 'Tutti-Frutti' after one of the ice cream flavors.  The ice cream place was what you don't see much of these days.  A few casual tables inside and out to sit in, and then a side section with waitress service where you can order some food.  I had the mint chocolate chip.


3 comments:

  1. Buckeys! Those are an Ohio thing, and they are best with milk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fried pickles are fantastic!!!

    and you definitely need homemade buckeyes :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my Lord, you've never experienced the greatness that is a Buckeye?!!?!? You poor, deprived gal. Peanut butter and chocolate = heaven. Those are a holiday staple in this part of the country ;)

    Savannah is on my list of places to go, your trip makes me want to go even more!

    ReplyDelete