Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Did I just steal?

One of the great things about commuting into NYC is the freebies you occasionally get outside of Grand Central (I think Penn Station has them sometimes too).  Last year I got a baseball cap from RedHat, a Starbucks frappacino that I left for a homeless man, and a sample of some sort of medicine.  I declined the free coffee one day but did take the coupon for Tim Hortons and gave to a coworker.

The year before I picked up a Tylenol umbrella, a $20 coupon to Lord & Taylor (no minimum purchase), an energy bar, and some other coupons.

Yesterday I walk out of Grand Central and see many people carrying a Sobe bottle.  When I cross the street, I see crates of them but no person to distribute them.  People were just reaching in and taking one.  I followed and did the same.  After all, we are used to getting freebies on occasion.  But my 10 minute walk to work started to bother me.  Why wasn't someone there?  Did I steal a drink? What if it was just a delivery? But outside of Modells? - that doesn't make sense. I don't walk by the bar and steal bread or the steakhouse and pick up onions/salad nor do I grab a beer from the beer delivery guys.  I am sitting at work, thirsty, thinking should I open it? Maybe I should give to a homeless guy...so if I did steal it, at least I didn't benefit from it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment