Monday, November 22, 2010

I am thankful for

I was out with an old friend the other day, talking about our youth and our families.  I was so naive back then.  I grew up in an amazing family and when you are young you assume every one's family is similar.  In high school you start to realize some differences and take for granted how amazing your family is.  So my friend and I were talking and I had no idea how horrible his family life was.  I could not relate to the un-supportive parents, the hard life.  I felt so bad and sat there thinking, the poor kid - I wish I knew so I could have helped more. 

Now, if you know my personality you would know that compassion is not what stands out right away.  I am very compassionate with family and people I know and I have a good feeling about.  I give all my love when I get it in return.  But on an everyday basis, I can't be bothered with people or their problems.

Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday.  I was not sure between Halloween and Thanksgiving, but Thanksgiving won out because there is something about turkey, stuffing, cranberry sauce. I LOVE it. 

So this Thanksgiving I am going to be extra sure to thank my amazing family.  Every year I am thankful for having them in my life.  But this year I am more appreciative of everything they have done for me.  All the support they have given me (a LOT in the last 5 years) and will continue to.  Just the other day my sister surprised me, finding ways to go out of her way to help me.  My life is so uncertain right now and having people in my life to help get me through it has been a blessing. Some people (most of my family) have this ability to be so compassionate.  And to realize people would help me so much, is such an amazing thing. I feel so lucky.  And with that, I know I need to help others.  I have to start super slow since I lack money, time and need to fix my own life first and of course learn to be more compassionate with people I do not know.

What are you thankful for? 

No comments:

Post a Comment