Monday, September 9, 2013

polo spectator

Groupon gave me the opportunity to attend a polo match.  It was a perfect day to be outside and watch a sporting event.

I wish I read more about polo matches because so many people had these amazing picnics and alcohol. I was smart enough to bring a chair and a bottle of water, but I didn't bring any food.  While I wasn't initially hungry, seeing all the crackers & cheese and wine and grapes and appetizers, I would have loved to dig in...at least know in case I ever go to another match.

There must have been over 2,000 people there.  Honestly, I am not sure how many people actually watched the match.  Initially we sat about 4 chair rows in and couldn't see anything, so I am sure a lot of people were in that position as well, especially if they only had a blanket.  After we moved closer, because I didn't pay for a ticket not to watch the game at all, I noticed that many people were just chatting in their group.

Unfortunately there weren't speakers (at least where we were); it would have been nice to have someone announce the game.

Attire ranged from a gown to jeans, it was fun to people watch and see all the interesting outfits.  Especially the more wealthy.  There were a few gentlemen in nice shirts, a jacket, khaki shorts and flip flops.  A lot of women wore cute dresses.  There were some hats, but not as many as I thought we'd see.

After watching Pretty Woman, I was excited to be part of the divot stomping.  That is the half way part of the match when the audience gets to go on the field and fix the divots to smooth out the grass.



No comments:

Post a Comment