Thursday, August 8, 2013

hot water and soap

My grandmother is kinda gross...she doesn't realize it, but to everyone else, we see it.  She is such a wonderful and sweet lady, but in her old age, she is getting worse and worse about taking care of herself properly.  Although it started quite a few years ago, to the point that I think I try to embed it in me to wash myself well and take care of myself so I won't end up like her.

I try to go over there often enough...I was striving for once a month, but you know, life gets in the way so sometimes I miss a month or two.  When I go over I always buy food or take her out to dinner.  I bring my own water bottle, I don't use the bathroom unless it is an emergency, and sometimes I bring my own utensils.  She loves Chinese food almost as much as me, so most of the time that is what we have, so I don't have to feel bad not using her fork because I use chopsticks.  It has been working out just fine for the last 10 years.

This past time however, I was sidetracked by the Cablevision man, my brother-in-laws's mother and my uncle.  We were slow to eat our Chinese food, and after the Cablevision technician left, Grandma took out some apple pie.  It was store bought, so I ate it a little of it with a fork.

The next morning I woke up and my throat felt funny...it wasn't sore yet, but I worried it was going to be.  Damn apple pie.

Last July, my sister had strep throat and was over.  We threw all our dishes in the dishwasher to make sure the germs were killed.  A few days later I had strep throat.  I was so careful not to get her germs...but it turned out I emptied the half-full dishwasher of dirty dishes.  They didn't look dirty because my mother practically washes the dishes before they go in the dishwasher and I could have sworn I saw her turn it on that night.  I learned then about germs staying on forks and cups and plates even longer than I realized.

So it was no surprise to me that the fork I used to eat the apple pie had germs.  She probably just rinsed the fork, without soap or in cold water, and put it away.  Grandma and I never have dessert, since she is diabetic, I won't want to be responsible for her sugar...but this particular night, she had left overs from a lunch she threw with her sisters the day before.

Next time I am taking her for Sushi.  She's never had it and well, I can't risk accidentally risk getting sick from her lack of cleaning.

No comments:

Post a Comment