Monday, August 19, 2013

Day 3 - 5: Yellowstone National Park

After I picked up my friend, we headed into Yellowstone National Park.  We started down by the Old Faithful area and worked our way clockwise around the park.

The first stop was the most famous geyser, Old Faithful.  Old Faithful erupts about every 90 minutes or so, when we got there, we waited about 45 minutes.  During that time we heard a little from a park ranger about the geyser, about how it gives a little tease before it erupts, about the water temperature and some history.

For my first geyser, it was quite an experience and really set the mood for the upcoming days.  

We walked around part of the boardwalk loop - and wanted to check out the Old Faithful Inn, which was quite a site!  On the second floor there is a bar and an outdoor seating area for viewing Old Faithful.  My friend and I got a beer and relaxed outside and watched the geyser erupt again.  

I highly recommend sitting in the viewing area - even if it is farther from Old Faithful.  For me, it was a better showing, I didn't have a huge head in my way, the seat was more comfortable...and the beer was refreshing.

As it was our first day, I wasn't sure what to expect at Yellowstone. As much research as I did, I tried not to look at too many pictures because I wanted to be surprised and enjoy it even more without having expectations of any kind.

It was beyond what I could have thought.  

The scenery was so different in different parts of the park, the colors were amazing, the smell of sulfur was poignant at times.

We walked most of the boardwalks and took a few hikes.  Day 3 we logged ~18,892 steps, day 4 was ~13,487 and day 5 was a little over 20,000 steps.

The springs & ponds were among my favorite because although they were similar, they were all so different in color, clarity, depth and smell.

Grand Prismatic Spring
Mammoth Hot Springs
The "Grand Canyon' of Yellowstone
Sulfur Cauldron

me

No comments:

Post a Comment