Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Day 6-7: Grand Teton National Park

We passed through the continental divide twice


on the way to Grand Teton National Park,

Since my friend really only had one full day in Grand Teton, we made sure to see all the highlights.  We started at Oxbow Bend, where we hoped to see some moose in the water; we didn't.
The Teton's reflection at Oxbow Bend
We drove down to Signal Mountain and viewed the area from 7,593 feet at the summit.
Me at Signal Mountain
Then headed over to Jenny Lake and viewed the mountains from there and went into the lodge, which had a small but cute interior.
At the Jenny Lake scenic drive area
The Jenny Lake Visitor Center area parking lot fills up fast, so instead of doing the hike there, we went over to Taggart Lake.  The trail was about 3.4 miles and had a nice variety of scenery.
on the trail of Taggart Lake
From there we drove out to Mormon Row to check out the most photographed barn in America.
The most photographed cabin in America

Towards the end of the day we ended up at Jackson Lake Lodge where we had beer and appetizers over looking the mountains and saw moose from REALLY far away...thank goodness for the 300 zoom lens...but I didn't really 'see' them.  We decided to stay there to watch the sunset since the weather was perfect.
picture taken by Anne

Day 7 we got up super early so we can watch the sunrise at Oxbow Bend...and hoped to see moose.  The sunrise was nice.

After Anne left, I went to the Jenny Lake area and hiked the Jenny Lake trail to Hidden Falls and Inspiration Point.  I was exhausted and drank all my water.  It was a great hike.  Since I ran out of water, I decided to take the boat back across Jenny Lake instead of hiking - although the other half looked much flatter, and I probably should have just kept going...but since I was alone, safety was my priority.
Me at Inspiration Point
From here I wanted to go to Jackson Hole, so I headed over to check out the Chapel of Transfiguration.

And drove on Moose-Wilson road, where the Laurence S. Rockefeller Preserve is, suggested by one of Grand Teton's Park Rangers.  I didn't know what to expect, so after waiting a little bit for a parking space I decided to do a 2 mile round trip hike.  The hike was OK.  I saw some flowers, a squirrel, a lake and a few other people.
at Laurence S Rockefeller Preserve

Day 6:  15,177 steps and Day 7:  19,093 steps.

No comments:

Post a Comment