Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Me-Ouch

When I was in NYC a few weekends ago, I quickly glanced over to look at the newspaper headlines on the stand but kept walking.  Mid-block, I am starting to actually think about what I read...was it true?  I couldn't wait to get to the next set of boxes to look again.

I wasn't crazy, the New York Post did in fact read "Cat survives 12-story plunge". 

Seriously?  This made the FRONT PAGE of a newspaper?  I understand that we might not have these fabulous newsworthy things happen all the time, but surely there are better things for a front page article?

How does a story like this even make it into the news?   Would YOU ever call the press when something so mundane happens?  Who cares?  This isn't even the first cat falling incident, after all the whole 9 lives thing had to come from somewhere.  In 2006 a cat fell 10-stories, in 2008 a cat in Toronto fell 17-stories and in 2009 a cat fell 26-stories.  I am sure there are even more articles, but I really have no desire to keep googling that.

What kind of people are those that report such instances?  When I find a mouse in my apartment should I call the news saying 'a mouse invaded my apartment, but he seems respectful and only poops in two spots'.  Or maybe the press will find it interesting that as a single women I tried to fix my refrigerator's water line and microwave but was unsuccessful so I have been with out ice for 6 months and without a microwave for 18 months.  Can you believe I have adapted to THOSE kinds of changes?  Should I start telling people how to live with out relying on a microwave? Maybe I can write a whole book!  (hopefully you realize I am being very sarcastic)

Sure, for all you cat lovers, maybe this story is great, it even included a nice size picture of the cat with the IV...but even you have to admit that it is not front page worthy, maybe buried on page 20 somewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment