Thursday, June 23, 2011

Welcome back Aunt Flo

Can we talk about periods? I am sure it might seem a little strange having a 31 year old discuss this, but it has been on my mind.

I don't remember when I first got my period, maybe 14?  Anyway, it is one of those things that you start dealing with at a fairly early age.  About a year into my period, I started getting it every other week for about three years.  A way to know if a classmate started her period was to see if she went to the restroom with a purse, something that girls started to bring to school to carry their supplies in.  Of course when it was still 'new' I had a lot of accidents...you know when the pad or tampon fills up too fast and you start leaking.  That is probably why I started wearing my father's flannel shirts, so I could wrap it around my waist when need be.  Sometimes I would wish that instead of having it for 3-7 days, that you just spent one day sitting on the toilet emptying all that out.  As soon as I went on birth control my period regulated back to once a month.  I remember in college I was a runner-up queen to using coupons, and I stock piled OBs.  Then a funny thing happened, my period rarely came.  I might have went through three boxes of tampons in the last eight years.  My period for the most part, when I would get it was very light - so light that I would just wear a liner for two days. 

Then a funny thing happened.  A coincidence no doubt, but I had my tea leaves read and she told me I was very fertile.  I laughed.  I mean, how can someone who gets such a light period three times a year or less be very fertile?  Anyway, can I tell you that for the last three months I have had a crazy heavy period?  It is disgusting.  I feel like I am 14 and trying to figure all this out again.  I left my apartment today with out grabbing tampons to get me through the day so I had to turn around to go back to get them.  I actually had to buy a few more boxes, and wow, the price practically doubled in the last 10 years.  The whole thing is just so messy and gross.  I don't like that last month I had such a bad craving for chocolate that I had to stop at a store on my way to work to pick up peanut chews and a root beer for breakfast.  This month I am craving salty things...and ate almost a half a bag of chips and salsa for my morning snack yesterday.  The cramping is less than I remember  - thank goodness...but my mood has fluctuated a little bit.  Another down side is that I now have to plan around my period; not that I get laid that often, but I haven't been able to accommodate someone...which is probably a good thing.

I wonder why now?  What has changed in my everyday life that my body has changed?  I know stress is a huge factor to consider...but I don't really think I was all that stressed (well aside from 12 months a few years back).  Not having my period regularly goes back to the SI days - could it be that he caused my emotional body so much stress that my body knew it didn't want to bear his child? And even if so...why almost five years later has it returned?  Is it because I am finally ready to meet my husband?  Is my body ready to have a baby?

No comments:

Post a Comment