Sunday, June 19, 2011

Pompeii the Exhibit

Saturday was the first time I went into New York City on a weekend in probably three years.  Holy Chaos.  Grand Central Terminal was packed...all three bathroom lines were so long as was the ticket lines.  Trying to cross the area with all those people took a while; a huge change from my morning commute.  As much as my commute aggravates me, I think I have a new appreciation that it isn't really that bad since most of my fellow travellers know where they are going, they might just be sleepy. 

I went to the Pompeii exhibit at the Discovery Center on 44th street.  Adult tickets were about $25. No pictures were permitted (even non-flash) and They offered an audio tour as well, if you were interested in that.  First we watched a video of a brief history of Pompeii, when this concluded we entered the first room with artifacts from pre-Vesuvius eruption.  Quite amazing and impressive artwork for before 79AD.  Additionally their everyday life seemed so structured and less simple than I would have imagined for that time.  After you look at everything in this section, you are permitted into the second movie.  This movie is a still-clip of what the eruption was like over the 12+ hours and the destruction.  The movie was brought goosebumps to my arms.  When the movie ended we entered the next room where cast replicas of humans were displayed.   This room then led to another room of other artifacts.  It didn't take so long to go through, we did it in about one hour, but in the last room I really just focused on reading the walls and not really reading about the artifacts...some were simple 'table', 'dish' etc.

After the exhibit we went down to Madison Square and ate at Eataly and ate in the Seafood section. I was not impressed at their limited menu, and neither were my four other people, I think we all liked the bottle of white wine the best!  One lady bought some foccacia bread which was out of this world from a stand.  After lunch we picked up some gellato from another section, I got the pistachio and vanilla...yummy; we ate it outside in the park.

An exhausting day but I had a really good time. I am happy I was able to learn more about Pompeii, I would love to go there at some point in the future when my travels brings me to Italy.

No comments:

Post a Comment