Friday, August 13, 2010

KISS is on my list

I didn't have many things planned for this summer, but when my brother-in-law told me about the KISS concert at Jones Beach, I knew I'd go this year.
I grew up in the 80s but since I was still young and didn't listen to the radio until the 90s, and at which time I listened to the mainstream top 100 type of music. Mostly at the time it was Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Live, etc, and I loved some older stuff like Billy Joel, Chicago, Journey and Air Supply. I never heard of KISS.

My sister has a baby boy and as he was super tiny, he starts liking what his father likes, KISS. He had a stage when he was 5 or so, that I made a cape for him to use when playing the drums, the guitar or singing. For Halloween one year, he might have been 6 or 7, I made his a KISS cape and shirt and painted his face. There was a KISS tribute band we saw at Playland once. He is now 12, so I have known and heard him singing KISS music for about 9 years.

It's time I see what the fuss is all about, in person. It will be my nephew's 5th KISS concert, but his little brother & sister's first. I heard the show was very entertaining. I hope the weather is nice since the arena is outdoors.
Update: The weather was perfect. The show was amazing; filled with lots of action and noise. The kids loved it. I am very glad I finally went and am now better able to understand what all the talk is about. Although, I thought that Paul's voice was a little funny. I know he is in his 6os, so I don't mean scratchy & off pitch. His talking voice was had a weird accent that was bothering me. He is originally from NYC and now lives in LA or Hollywood or where ever, but that voice is neither. It almost sounded gay-like, but I was assured he is married to a beautiful lady and has children (which doesn't mean he isn't gay). Maybe that is part of the show, to talk funny. Either way, the show was fun.

1 comment:

  1. HAHAHAHAAA! Paul is NOT gay.
    Maybe google some stuff from earlier years, you'll see what I mean. He's from Long Island. That was his "concert yelling" voice. He has a normal voice.
    And you haven't heard of KISS cause they're from the 70's. Peaked in the mid 80's. Barely a blip in the 90s. I have some friends who are about 7 years older than me and they grew up with KISS. So you're just too young! So don't feel bad :)

    Glad you had fun!

    I went to their "FAREWELL" concert like 9 years ago... hahahaa

    ReplyDelete