Thursday, June 17, 2010

Return of the Scrunchie?

Scrunchie. That is today's topic. Such a strange topic to randomly pick, but that is what you get when you ask a friend the first word she is thinking.
So here it goes. I was a typical teen of the 90s. We had high rise jeans and wore big flannel shirts (I even borrowed from my Dad) or silk shirts on a regular basis. Sometimes our jeans were colored - red, blue, black, white, you get the idea. It was very laid back and casual. The grunge look also made an appearance.

I had really long hair and it got in my way a lot, so I'd put it back - in a SCRUNCHIE, a scrunchie is a rubber band with fabric around it. Rommy Revson patented the design in the US in 1986 and named it 'scünci', after her dog. I had so many of these guys as they were fairly cheap. We had this amazing flea market by me, and you can go and get 10 scrunchies for $5. There were so many colors and patterns...I don't think I wore half of the ones I owned. You can wear the srunchie a few ways, like a regular rubberband where you just wrap your hair it in it until it is tight...or you can wrap your hair in a bun, and place the scrunchie around it, so it wasn't twisted. You can also wear the scrunchie as a bracelet and then put it up when needed or use it to dress up a look. Very practical.

So what happened to my 30+ scrunchies? Well, I moved a lot from when I was a teen, so I am assuming I threw most of them away. I do believe I still have 2 or 3 in my bathroom, thinking I'd keep it in case I wanted to throw my hair up...but I haven't used one in years & years. Just now I was thinking, if it hasn't been worn to throw it away...BUT rumor has it that scrunchies will be making a comeback. They have been seen being sold at American Apparel (407 varieties) and Catherine Zeta-Jones was sporting one in January of this year. Everything makes a comeback...but I think it is a little early, no? Maybe I am just getting older.


Photo from American Apparel


For now, I will stick with my very basic and thin rubber band even if at times gets stretched out or tangled in the hair. AND more importantly, I don't have to worry about a guy breaking up with me over a scrunchie like in Sex and the City

Fads of the 1990's include: (notice scrunchie is NOT listed...what's with that?)
spandex shorts
Pokemon
Grunge music and fashion
Koosh Balls
Saved By The Bell
The Macarena
American Gladiators
Extreme sports
Gigapets / Tomogatchi
Trapper Keeper
The Waif Look
Tamagotchi
Spuds MacKenzie
Push Pops
Bowl cut
Beanies (caps/hats)
Stoner and slacker humor (Beavis and Butthead, Bill and Ted?s Excellent Adventure, etc.)
Discman
Multi-colored silk shirts
Wide leg jeans
Radio Disney
Dr. Martens
Oprah's Book Club
V-Chips (for TVs)
Overalls
Chat Rooms
Girl Power
Car air fresheners
Street Fighter
What would Jesus do?
Hypercolor (clothing that changed color with heat)
Eight ball
leather jacket
Pogs
Psych!
Polly Pocket Toys
Hip-Hop
Fashion
I've fallen and I can't get up!
Mortal Kombat games
Claw vending machine
Hi-top fade
Tickle Me Elmo
SUV's
ClackersSlammer
Whammers

No comments:

Post a Comment