Wednesday, July 27, 2011

My time at the food pantry

After work on Tuesday I decided to volunteer at the local food pantry.  Essentially it is a place that compiles food for about 600+ local families.  They have it figured out pretty well...but the volunteers change regularly so it isn't as efficient as it could be...I guess that is the management in me.

How it works is there is a recycled bag that gets pushed down a table and people add items to the bag.  Today it was filled with 2 boxes cereal, 2 pastas, 1 sauce,1 bag rice, Vienna sausage, 2 cans tuna fish, 1 beef pasta box, 3 bananas, 8 oranges, 1 cucumber, 5 peaches, 2 heads lettuce, ? plums, ? carrots, 1 yellow squash,  a loaf of bread, and a few other items.  They get something similar twice a month.  I was there stuffing and thinking that these people are eating better than me!  Such a nice variety of food.  It was all generic and I think locally grown fruit/veggies.

I had hoped this would have been rewarding to the point I'd want to do it more often, but unfortunately that aspect isn't really something I see myself doing...maybe I'd be better with the distribution lines which was the next shift.  I have been trying to think of other volunteer opportunities that I'd like, but honestly I haven't done anything in 7 months.  One that caught my eye was playing scrabble at the nursing home...but they wanted a volunteer once a week, which is too often for me.  Then I wonder, if I volunteered that much - I should just get a second job.  I am glad I tried it, I am not opposed to doing it again once in a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment