Wednesday, July 20, 2011

My strange garbage habit

Do you have a strange habit that people don't understand?  I've had a few people look at me funny when I told them why I had a grocery bag in my fridge, taking up valuable shelf space.

In the summer especially, it is hot. Food tends to decay rapidly when left at room temperature and starts to smell really bad.  Living alone, I do not fill my garbage bag that quickly which means I don't throw it away outside on a daily basis...it's more like once a week or up to 14 days.

Instead of putting leftover or discarded food in the garbage can, I'll throw it back in the fridge until I take out the trash.  To me, this seems like such a normal, great use of conserving plastic while helping the environment.  OK OK, I could start composting, which would be better...but where to put my compost? We do not have land here and I am not going to drive it over to my parent's house.  I had hoped to install a garbage disposal because I know I don't have a lot of regular garbage, but it has been sitting in my closet for two years waiting to be installed...which will not happen in this apartment.  So, it comes down to instead of my apartment smelling for days and instead of throwing away a bag 3/4 empty, food just stays in the fridge a little longer.  I can afford the shelf space most of the time and have learned to keep a section reserved for that very purpose. 

So if you are ever over and look in my fridge, don't question whether I plan to eat that half eaten brown apple, egg shells or chicken bones.  Clearly I am not starving or under nourished.  What do you take me for?

No comments:

Post a Comment