Monday, February 7, 2011

Tipping my hat to Cinderella

While many of you went off to Superbowl parties or just stayed at home...I was cleaning an apartment to prep for a party and helping during the party.

Last week my Aunt asked if I wanted to help her and since I didn't really have much going on, a little side job sounded good.  We could all use a few extra pennies.  I was to be picked up at noon, we'd get there before 1, and then scrub scrub scrub, then wash up, then help with coats/food/drinks and garbage during the party.  Sounds easy enough?

Well, we get to this apartment. It has 10 bathrooms, 2 kitchens, 2 huge living rooms...and then of course hallways, entry ways, etc.  I figured these rich people's place wouldn't be too hard to clean, but I was a little wrong.  Things were a bit run down.  I am sure 10 years or 20 years ago the place was beautiful, but now it was dated and cluttered.  I am not into cleaning, I barely clean my small 750 square foot apartment. I mean, don't get me wrong, my place isn't dirty, but it isn't immaculate.  I do clean and straighten up all the time, but that heavy duty cleaning...yeah, I haven't done that yet.

I am assigned the two kitchens and then in the two living rooms to vacuum all the furniture and floors.  This must be done in 4 hours.  I swear I have never worked so hard. I was sweating like you wouldn't believe. At one point I thought I was going to pass out.   On top of this heavy labor, they had four cats and I didn't stop sneezing which made me feel more run down.  While my sister was arm deep in bathroom gook, I just scrubbed the outside of the cabinets, outside of the appliances (both of which haven't been cleaned since Superbowl last year), the floor, etc.  My arms were shaking.  Next was vacuuming the cat hair...I almost puked in the vastness of it in one small area.  Seat cushions smelled like urine.  The apartment was musty because they NEVER open a window...they prohibit it.  And the clutter - amazing. I am glad I didn't have to clean the 8 shelves with all the super expenisive amall knick-knacks - I wish I took a picture.  But that clutter was everywhere.  There was just so much stuff. It really took away from the space of the apartment. I, myself, would never be able to live with so much crap laying around.  I think that it would stress me out more seeing that.

OK, so these rich people never learned how to clean up, I kinda get it. It is hard, since I wasn't raised like that - but I get that other people never picked up a paper towel or bowl before. 

The couple was really nice.  They told us what they wanted done and we did it.  They were prepping for the party at the beginning, but then they were done, while we still had at least 2 hours left.  I know if I was throwing a party, I would help get everything ready - just to be sure it would get done.   But you know what the lady did?  She was working on a Christmas puzzle!  And at one point, in one kitchen while I was prying off one years worth of a spill on the cabinet wall, she tells me to move the salt & pepper shaker to the other table.  I get that I am the help...but that is simply a matter of non-excursion on the way she was walking next.  Time was crunching!

So after we clean up, and I feel like I was going to fall asleep from exhaustion, we clean up.  She provides us with a football jersey of our choice from teams and we are ready for phase 2...the party.  I loved this part. Always have. I love working a party behind the scenes.  Have things ready, pass around food/beverages, pick up plates, cups, etc.  It doesn't really involve talking to other people, which is probably why I like it.  I can smile and just walk away.

When the game ended, the three of us are zipping really fast cleaning up.  We cleaned up 2 rooms during the last quarter, but the last scramble to get everything done before 11 was intense. Again, the sweat starts beading at my forehead.  I am sure I smelt.  I am in the kitchen again washing and drying dishes and the couple comes over to say goodnight and thanks me for my work...they are off to bed!  I seriously just couldn't believe it. 

The view from their huge apartment was amazing.  The work was hard.  I am excited about the little extra money I made...but was it worth it? I really don't know.  Would I do it again? I really hope not!  Today I got to work and figured out how much I was going to make.  12 hours (1 1/2 real work days for me) and the total....and it is a bit LESS than I make at my job per hour.  Can I actually say I was HAPPY going to my real job today?  Yes, a little bit!  It really put things in perspective. Yes, Yes, it is extra and I am happy...but I give a lot of credit to Cinderella and all the cleaning people out there.  That kind of work is no joke.  Cinderella might have been forced to do this kind of work by an evil stepmother, but we were both dreaming of finding a rich guy to not make us clean like that forever!  

2 comments:

  1. I'm totally doing something like that this Thursday!! How random that you posted this!

    My friend's ex-mother-in-law needs her house de-cluttered and cleaned as well. I think less cleaning though, and more organizing. Isn't it funny how rich people can't afford regular cleaning staff?!? WTF!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow!you are an awesome girl dear,really.I mean this kind of experience is good for all people and I couldn't believe that you made it.good for you really!this kind of job is not a joke!have better days from now on!thanks for writing.

    ReplyDelete