Friday, February 18, 2011

Expiration Dates

First, welcome to some new followers! I was SO excited to see I had a few more.  Yippee!!

I am really inconsistent when it comes to things expired.  I will not take a medication that is more than a month expired.  I will not drink milk a day past the sell by date.  Mayo gets thrown in the garbage right away (but I also don't really like it). And food I cooked/left overs I will keep for a week before discarding.

But on Wednesday I was preparing my chicken for the week and I split it up.  Half the chicken I rubbed in Pampered Chef's buffalo rub and splashed some Red Hot on it with some hot Chili Sauce.  The other three pieces I decided to marinate in A1.  I forgot how much I LOVE A1.  I love it so much, that I bought the HUGE bottle from Costco, which is kinda crazy because I live alone AND I rarely make/eat meat.  I saw it in the fridge and looked at it...and it was expired in late 2009.  I thought about the date for 2 minutes, looked to see what else I could use and came up empty handed so I shook it up...marinated my chicken and baked it in the yummy brown sauce.  Then I put it back in the fridge. I didn't discard the nearly full bottle.  Today, right now, I am eating my chicken and it is good. 

So, if I don't post this weekend I probably died from expired A1 - but I think that highly unlikely.  Why is it somethings affect us differently, like expiration dates. I know it isn't 100% accurate, how can it be, it is a rough guess when something may no longer be good.  Way back in the day there wasn't expiration dates, I guess you just smelt it, the consistency changed, mold grew, or it just didn't work right that is when you knew to dispose of it.  

Are there any products you refuse to use past an expiration date...or that you use well past an expiration date? Please tell us!

2 comments:

  1. Eggs, I'll eat them past the expiration date. Milk too. As long as I smell it first and can tell it's still good. I've got a good sense of smell so I don't care about those things... in reality I don't really ever look. I can just tell if it's good or now.

    My ex though wouldn't eat anything left over (takeout food, left over’s, anything not in its original container) after three days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meh, I'll pretty much give anything a try as long as it isn't lookin' or smellin' funky or ridiculously expired. I threw OJ away the other day that expired a month ago, because that was "too" expired, even though, as I poured it down the drain, it smelled fine. So, like you, I guess it just depends.


    and YAY new followers!!! Woohoo!!!! Funny, I've gained a handful the past week or so and I'm so excited! In fact, I noticed one right before I saw your post and did the happy dance!

    ReplyDelete