Saturday, February 19, 2011

My attempt to be a handywoman....failure

Yesterday I found out that my water hose to my ice maker in the freezer had a hole in it, and thus was leaking.  I did not have a puddle in my kitchen, so I had no idea for quite some time.  The water start backing up in my buildings hallway.  It didn't occur to me that the wet carpet outside my unit was something that was my problem.  I had my father came over to help me move the fridge and attempted to turn off the water from under my sink...but the water still continues to flow, and I must empty the bowl every 4-5 hours. 

Today I decided to run into Home Depot to get a replacement hose and connectors.  For the three items they guy picked out for me, it was only about $8.  It was simple enough to put the connectors on the plastic tubing...but I was not able to get the original hose off the back of the freezer.  I even used a wrench.  Didn't budge.  I was a bit disappointed. I really wanted to do this on my own...you know as part of me being an owner of some sort of property.  I would have been impressed with myself, and I am sure my Dad would have been as well, as much as he would tell me I didn't have to do it on my own.  Unfortunately for me, my father is not available until probably Monday to fix it.  So until then, the fridge is in the middle of my tiny kitchen, the bowl is collecting water and I feel my space is in such disarray.

So aside from that nice guy I mentioned I needed - I will have to add to that list someone that is strong and somewhat handy.  I can do a lot by myself, but it is nice to have someone to do work - like my father.  Yeah, that is right, I guess I want a man just like my Dad, but you know...younger and not related to me!

2 comments:

  1. You can TOTALLY hire a handyman. You can hold interviews... for cute... single ones :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I know. My Dad is fantastic, my uncle is a handyman...I know they are out there. But I like trying to do it myself - but a cute guy helping would be awesome!

    ReplyDelete