Sunday, November 16, 2014

Freezing. absolutely freezing

November 11-13, 2014 was record breaking low temperatures for Denver.  With the arctic blast storm that passed by, temperatures were -5 through 20 degrees.  That of course, does not account for the wind chill factor.

My family back home was teasing me...this of course is what they warned me about, Colorado being cold and snowy, and I kept telling them it isn't as bad as everyone thinks.  Snow melts faster because of the elevation and the sun still tries to peak out.

I am not used to driving in the snow because I would walk to the train, take the train and then walk to work...and do it in reverse at the end of the day.  When I got home, if the weather was bad, I'd just hang out at home...no need to go out for the most part.  So while NY had some horrible winters, it really didn't affect me driving (trying to stay warm for all the walking is another story).

But I had not choice, I had to leave because I had an interview and I didn't want to cancel.  What would that say about me?  So many other people were going to work.  I wanted to show that I was interested.

I watched the news. I saw the accidents.  I figured the highway might be better than the main side roads.  I heated up the car and headed out.

main road 12:15 pm
My road wasn't plowed.  At the time there was about 2 inches of snow on it.  When I got to the 'main' road, there were lines of where the cars have traveled.  Key was to stay in those same lines.  I kept a driving speed of no more than 30...and shockingly, I wasn't the slowest. I figured with all the people used to it, people would be driving faster, I was happy to see that wasn't the case for the most part.

Took ramp to highway, and was shocked that the interstate wasn't plowed.  Same conditions as these main roads.  Now sure, it was still flurrying, but the interstates are heavily traveled for all the commuters, surely they would have plowed this several times right?  It didn't seem like that was the case.

Interstate 12:30pm
What I worried about wasn't necessarily driving in the few inches of snow, but because the temperatures were so low, all that slush turning to ice...and sliding all over the place.

Going slow, keeping music low, hands on the wheel and having a good winter weather car of course really helps.  I was nervous but I did it.  And it was good to have my first taste of this before winter comes along.

my road...4pm
From what I have been told, is that most winter snow will fall, and then the sun comes out and melts it away either that day or within two days.  What was so unusual about this storm is its extremely cold temperatures.

By the time I got home from the interview, and navigating the interstate and main roads, I turned into the development and all that snow was still there.  I shoveled the driveway and side walk for a second time that day and my fingers were frozen by the time I was done.  Looking at this site from inside - even the following day, does not make me want to leave the house, even though I am sure the main roads are fine.

So I made it through the freeze.   But then today they say that we are expecting another storm that will bring in 3-6 inches.  More fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment