Wednesday, November 12, 2014

first snow in Denver

Well, it only took 102 days here before it snowed.  Everyone I was talking to in the last two weeks was saying that this was abnormal, that it usually snows before Halloween, how mild and wonderful the autumn has been.

And it has been.  October was gorgeous.  It ranged between 63 - 75 degrees most days with little rain.  It was the perfect weather.

The meteorologists a few days ago said to expect dropping temperatures and snow...and you know what?  They were right.  This morning (November 10th) was blue skies and 67 degrees at 9:30 am.  Within an hour it was down to 50 degrees and partly sunny, then at 11 it was 34 degrees, flurrying and cloudy.  As I type this at 3 pm, the flurries are still coming down.  The temperatures will get into the single digits tonight and stay there for 2-3 days.  I made sure to stop at the store to pick up some hot chocolate, snacks and comfort foods as I brace for the cold weather.

I don't think I would mind the cold, if it was already cold.  But when it drops so drastically, it seems colder because just hours it was nice, no coat needed.  Now you need to bundle up, so I feel like the chill stays with you longer when that happens.

I am very curious how this winter will play out here.  I am so nervous about driving in the snow.  Sure, I have a great car for winter conditions, but, having walked to the train, commuted via train and walked to work, I didn't have to worry about driving in it...and many times elected not to leave the house after work if it was snowy because...well, I'd rather just curl up on the couch.  So, this year will be different, if I have a job, I will have to drive there. and I don't want to be holed up all winter in a new place either.  We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment