Wednesday, November 5, 2014

free rent for cleaning

This wouldn't be much of an adventure if everything went according to 'the plan'.  The place I am 'living' in now is a room in a lady's house.  We agreed on a rent for the first three months and then she was going to be away for three months and wanted to increase the rent by $400 since I'd have the whole house.  I already use the bathroom, kitchen and living room...I stay clear of her bedroom, so I couldn't justify another $400 for something I wouldn't be using.

As I was contemplating not staying here but where would I go, a friend told me her tenants were moving out of her house and I could stay there for free for the month of November as they prepare to list it again.  That sounds great - save money and good timing!  The decision to leave this 'home' was an easy one.

The day my friends tenants moved out, I went over with her to check out the state of the house.  It needed a major scrubbing.  I don't mind a little cleaning, but scrubbing other people's yuckiness is not my thing, it skives me out.  But, it is something that I have to do - her letting me stay there, the least I can do is help clean it, paint it, fix it, etc.

Since I will only be there 3 1/2 - 4 weeks, I am not bothering with cable or internet...so that will be a little bit of a challenge, but a good one I think because it will get me out of the house.  I also bought a few used books at the library so I will have something to do in the evenings.

It will be a good test.  Of my mental health as well as perhaps deciding on where I want to live.  It will be a tough month, but like everything else so far, I am up for the challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment