Friday, November 7, 2014

Fast Food Fatty

Originally I had hoped that being in Colorado, I would lose weight because I would be more active.  That hasn't been the case at all.  While I have gone on a few hikes, I am more sedentary and lazy than ever, let's chalk it up to depression.  

My first place, I didn't like to cook when the lady was home and I only had so much free space in the cabinet, fridge and freezer...but I went grocery shopping regularly and picked up a few things and ate quite minimally.  Now in place number two, my kitchen situation is much worse.  Aside from the whole house skiving me out, the fridge is broken, there is no microwave and I have been trying to go to the grocery store daily to pick up items for one meal because saving leftovers is not an option.  Honestly, not having a microwave isn't a problem, back when I owned my apartment and the microwave died, I didn't replace it for two years.  The fridge is more of a challenge.  

Fast food is all over the place out here.  Someone told me that Denver is a test market for new restaurant chains...I still have to verify if this is true or not.  Being on such a tight budget, it is cheaper for me to get two tacos or a McDouble for dinner than it would be for me to buy some fish and vegetables and then having to cook it or even buying the ingredients for a hamburger.  My friend has kids so when we go out or when she buys me lunch for helping her with the apartment, it is mostly fast food.  I know that all the fast food places are starting to serve salads and whatnot but 1) I have never enjoyed salad and 2) most salads still have a lot of calories after you add up the yummy stuff they put in it and the dressing...at that point wouldn't you prefer the sandwich?

In my three months, I've had the following fast food (which is more than the last ten years worth of my fast food eating!)
  • Chick-fil-a
  • McDonald's
  • Wendy's (new for me)
  • Arby's (new for me)
  • Burger King
  • Chipolte
  • Taco Bell
  • Noodles & Company (new for me)
  • Sonic (new for me)
  • Panda Express (new for me)
Of course I know I control what I eat. I can be making better choices, but I feel like you need to experience this before you can make that realization. And that realization just came as I feel less than pretty in my body right now.  

Aside from moving around so much, the eating is another reason I am craving a more permanent living situation.  I need to get back into my routine of cooking and eating better - and it worked out really well when I was cooking most of my food once a week and eating it throughout the week. I was able to take advantage of buying larger quantities to save money.

But I get it.  I understand why poor people are generally fatter and eat crap food...because it is cheap and honestly, it is filling.  I can eat a Wendy's hamburger & fries for lunch at 2 pm and not really be hungry for dinner...or have something small and light or a snack and I'd be fine.  But poor people also  can't afford (good) insurance and gyms and our health goes down hill.

Maybe I am supposed to take this knowledge and find a job where I can make a difference.  Hmm, something to look into during this week's job search.

No comments:

Post a Comment