Wednesday, September 14, 2011

what comes first - a job or a move?

I am having my own version of which came first the chicken or the egg?  But instead of poultry, I am wondering about moving and jobs. 

No secret I am unhappy in my place of employment.  I look at jobs but am I being too picky? Can you be too picky about something you spend so much of your time at?  You have to enjoy it a little or at least be content otherwise that unhappiness drips into your personal life...which is happening to me now. That feeling is not good and needs to change.

So I keep wondering...do I find a new job and then move...or do I take a huge risk and move without something lined up and then look for a job?  That is not only risky...but I wouldn't know anyone.  Not that I have very many friends here - I seem to be busy a lot...and I don't really know with what.  What should I do first?

Within that question also comes my love life.  Sure it is still non-existent now, but I don't know what fate has in store for me.  What if I decide to move and then I change my fate of meeting someone here?  What if I move and then I don't meet my fh for another 10 years or so?  What if I stay here and then I miss my fh?  I know it is fate-and that it will happen, but I am still not convinced...I feel like I am the only single-decent looking-nice-not a lot of baggage anymore-who wants love & a family- person...I don't know why people are repelled by me.  I really wish that I had my fh now so then we can move together and start our family somewhere more wonderful (affordable) than the suburbs of NYC - unless he is rich.

My sister sent me a link to find your best place to live over at Sperling's.  Check out the link to take their quiz.  They also have links to articles about best places to live...like CNN Money's - which this year my town made it on.

So I took the test last night and San Francisco came up as my #1, Boston was #3, NYC was my #4, Newark NJ was #6...like I'd ever want to live there!....I guess I like things close by.   But the thing is, in reality, while I am living in it...I don't. I can't stand crowds or tourists.  So I retook the quiz and adjusted a few small answers....what did I get this time?

1 . San Francisco , CA (see San Francisco, CA)

Econ.: C, Housing: C, Educ.: A-, Health: A Crime: C+, Recr.: A+, Culture: A+, Trans.: A+

2 . Boston , MA-NH-ME (see Boston, MA)
Econ.: C+, Housing: C, Educ.: A, Health: A Crime: B, Recr.: A+, Culture: A+, Trans.: A+

3 . Washington , DC-MD-VA-WV (see Washington, DC)
Econ.: C, Housing: C+, Educ.: A, Health: A Crime: C+, Recr.: A+, Culture: A+, Trans.: A+

4 . Los Angeles-Long Beach , CA (see Los Angeles, CA)
Econ.: C, Housing: C+, Educ.: B, Health: B Crime: C+, Recr.: A+, Culture: A+, Trans.: A+

5 . Seattle-Bellevue-Everett , WA (see Seattle, WA)
Econ.: B, Housing: C+, Educ.: B-, Health: B+ Crime: C, Recr.: A+, Culture: A+, Trans.: A+

6 . New York , NY (see New York, NY)
Econ.: C-, Housing: C, Educ.: B+, Health: B+ Crime: C+, Recr.: A+, Culture: A+, Trans.: A+

7 . Long Island , NY (see Long Island, NY)
Econ.: C, Housing: C, Educ.: A, Health: A- Crime: A+, Recr.: A+, Culture: A+, Trans.: B+

8 . San Jose , CA (see San Jose, CA) 
Econ.: C, Housing: C, Educ.: B+, Health: B Crime: B, Recr.: A+, Culture: A+, Trans.: B+

9 . Minneapolis-St. Paul , MN-WI (see Minneapolis, MN)
Econ.: B, Housing: C+, Educ.: A-, Health: A- Crime: C+, Recr.: A+, Culture: A+, Trans.: A

10 . Denver , CO (see Denver, CO)
Econ.: B-, Housing: B-, Educ.: B-, Health: B+ Crime: B-, Recr.: A+, Culture: A+, Trans.: A+

#11 - 25:   Oakland CA, Chicago IL, Newark NJ, San Diego CA, Stamford-Norwalk CT, Bergen-Passaic NJ, Pittsburgh PA, Monmouth-Ocean NJ, Middlesex-Somerset-Hunterdon NJ, Baltimore MD, Philadelphia PA, Trenton NJ, Dallas TX, Danbury CT, Boulder-Longmont CO,


Not much different...the only thing that changed was the order of the cities.  A bit frustrating.  Maybe I am a city girl after all?  NO--> As it turns out the very LAST question asked about population.  Get rid of the over one million and the results do change a bit...instead of large cities (like above) they have smaller cities/towns.   It was funny to read that #8 on my list was Dutchess County (where I grew up)!  

Anyway...I am just so confused and I don't know what to do.  Maybe I want to change too much at once so then I don't change anything at all and I am stuck in the horrible rut.  Figures, I finally feel more confident in me as a person...but yet everything else just sucks.

No comments:

Post a Comment